The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

ATVing and shooting, any insight?

Posted By: jamesdak

ATVing and shooting, any insight? - 10/16/08 03:31 AM

Anyone else using an ATV to get in "deeper"? I finally bit the bullet and bought a ATV to help me access some of the more remote areas close to home. But I'm still trying to work out all the details of how to properly protect my gear while having it available for a quick grab when needed. Right now I'm tying down my backpack camera bag but it takes a bit of time to then access the gear. If anyone else doing this and if so I'd like to hear your solutions.

I personally am thiking a padded bag or or soft case with an easy access zippable top lid. It will need tiedown points from the sides though. I'm also thinking about a quiver to hold a tripod for easy access while protecting it from mud, flying debris, branches, etc.

I've also go to get a silencer on the machine as it is way too loud for me. I grew up riding horses in the mountains of Virginia and miss the quietness of that form of mountain transportation. I never was a big fan of these machines and I sort of feel like I've sold my soul to the devil now. Still, I can be way up in the mountains (on approved trails) in no time and that is a great advantage.

Is anyone else doing this and if so I'd like to hear your solutions.

thanks,
Jim
Posted By: glamson

Re: ATVing and shooting, any insight? - 10/16/08 04:51 AM

Quote:

Anyone else using an ATV to get in "deeper"? I finally bit the bullet and bought a ATV to help me access some of the more remote areas close to home. But I'm still trying to work out all the details of how to properly protect my gear while having it available for a quick grab when needed. Right now I'm tying down my backpack camera bag but it takes a bit of time to then access the gear. If anyone else doing this and if so I'd like to hear your solutions.

I personally am thiking a padded bag or or soft case with an easy access zippable top lid. It will need tiedown points from the sides though. I'm also thinking about a quiver to hold a tripod for easy access while protecting it from mud, flying debris, branches, etc.

I've also go to get a silencer on the machine as it is way too loud for me. I grew up riding horses in the mountains of Virginia and miss the quietness of that form of mountain transportation. I never was a big fan of these machines and I sort of feel like I've sold my soul to the devil now. Still, I can be way up in the mountains (on approved trails) in no time and that is a great advantage.

Is anyone else doing this and if so I'd like to hear your solutions.

thanks,
Jim

Jim,

Yes I've been using both a trail bike and ATV for the last few years to get way back there (see pics below). I use a chest bag to carry my D300/18-70mm combo. This gives me pretty quick access. I only carry the chest bag when riding the trail bike. When I want to take more equipment, I use the ATV. I carry most of my gear in a Lowpro microtrekker backpack (my D200/100-300mm lens, 105mm macro, my flash and other assorted items). I have a six-pack rack on the back of the ATV that I strap my Gitzo tripod on. The backpack is too heavy for the trail bike (need more balance there) but is great for the ATV. I really like being able to get 30-40 miles back into the mountains or desert.

I know what you mean about being able to react quickly. I was riding a logging road one day when a black bear cub jumped out of a tree and stood in the middle of the road looking at me. By the time I got my 100-300mm lens out he decided to take off. All I got was the back of him.

Geo

Posted By: dave_lines

Re: ATVing and shooting, any insight? - 10/16/08 05:12 PM

I have a Polaris X2 500 ATV that I use. I bought a tool box from I believe either Lowes or Home Depot.. called Stanley Fat Max..approx 26Lx10Wx11D, I has a seal so it is water and dust proof. I just open my camera bag and lay it in so that the camera is available if I want it, I only latch one latch. I bungee it on the front of the ATV, There is room enough for other things in the box too. My tripod will fit too if I arrange things right. Problem here in Oregon, we are limited to either logging roads or OHV trails, no cross country riding,, at least in the area I live in.

Jim, What kind of silencer do you have on your ATV? I have been thinking about getting one for mine too, but nobody local has them to hear how much diff they make. Dealers all look at me kinda funny,, say they never heard of that,, everybody wants more noise. DAve
Posted By: BL3

Re: ATVing and shooting, any insight? - 10/16/08 10:18 PM

Link for Kolpin ATV silencer:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&id=0014420

Wow, that's a big link. It's from Cabela's ATV section. Good Luck.

Rocky
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: ATVing and shooting, any insight? - 10/16/08 10:23 PM

I use a Yamaha 400 ATV. I installed a Pelican case on the front rack. With Alaska being 1/5 the size of lower 48 USA and almost 3 times larger than Texas, we have fewer roads than Rhode Island and need an ATV, plane or boat to get around in the wilderness.
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: ATVing and shooting, any insight? - 10/17/08 03:50 AM

Quote:

I have a Polaris X2 500 ATV that I use. I bought a tool box from I believe either Lowes or Home Depot.. called Stanley Fat Max..approx 26Lx10Wx11D, I has a seal so it is water and dust proof. I just open my camera bag and lay it in so that the camera is available if I want it, I only latch one latch. I bungee it on the front of the ATV, There is room enough for other things in the box too. My tripod will fit too if I arrange things right. Problem here in Oregon, we are limited to either logging roads or OHV trails, no cross country riding,, at least in the area I live in.

Jim, What kind of silencer do you have on your ATV? I have been thinking about getting one for mine too, but nobody local has them to hear how much diff they make. Dealers all look at me kinda funny,, say they never heard of that,, everybody wants more noise. DAve

Dave, seems we have similar taste. That's the same ATV I picked up. The extra seat is handy for hauling the wife or youngster along with me comfortably. I don't have a silencer on it yet as like you I've no real reference for how well they work.

I did find one bag that is top opening and comes with precut foam inserts you can remove to customize your gear. It's also weatherproof so it may be the best option. I've got to find it again as I forgot to save the link.
Posted By: dave_lines

Re: ATVing and shooting, any insight? - 10/17/08 10:24 PM

Jim,,, I have a tamrac expedition 3 that I use in the tool box on mine,, I keep the 100-400 on my camera, have filters and my 17-35 and 28-105 in the case too. Figure that is all I need,, The tamrac is padded so no extra needed, I just keep the case open so I can pop the top on the tool box and grab the camera. One of these days I might take a trip to Portland and see if any of the big dealers there have silencers.. Actually the exhaust doesn't seem to be too noisy but get a lot of noise from the motor itself.
Our Grandson lives with us, (11 yrs old) so the extra seat works out fine here. DAve
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum