The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Abbreviations...?

Posted By: dlc

Abbreviations...? - 11/09/08 10:01 AM

Alot of abbreviations are used in the posts, some I can figure out quite quickly, some after a little thought, and some not at all. Can anyone clear up the most commonly used ones for me?
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Abbreviations...? - 11/09/08 01:39 PM

There are a lot, can you list the ones that puzzle you?

Roman
Posted By: dlc

Re: Abbreviations...? - 11/09/08 04:06 PM

Exactly!!! Another thing that throws me is that they are in caps, which to me denotes proper names. I take it, that is not the case as in....BTW, which I take to mean, 'by the way'.....correct?
Posted By: whawn

Re: Abbreviations...? - 11/09/08 07:31 PM

IMO=in my opinion
LOL=laugh out loud
ROFL=rolling on the floor, laughing

and so on. Many of these got started 'way back when this thing we type on was the ARPANET, running on 160 baud modems, using teletype machines for IO (input/output). Because of the very limited bandwidth, and the large volume of paper involved (no, I mean *NO*, video monitors most places) there was a huge interest in conserving it, hence the abbreviations. For the same reason, smilies appeared before the internet became the internet, using keyboard characters. <--- that was supposed to be a *real* smiley, made with text. <rant on> IMO, the graphics smilies you see everywhere now-a-days are simply effete, a feeble attempt to claim the reality and heady excitement of those early days of packet-switched, WAN computing, back when we played computer games across the country in text mode, because that was the ONLY mode, but we could do it anywhere! Well, anywhere we could sneak into a lab with a teletype and a node. ;-> <end rant>

WAN=wide area network
ARPA=advanced research (something) agency

(sorry, wetware dropping bits. Used to know the 'P' part like my own name...) :]
Posted By: psmith

Re: Abbreviations...? - 11/09/08 08:14 PM

Quote:

Alot of abbreviations are used in the posts, some I can figure out quite quickly, some after a little thought, and some not at all. Can anyone clear up the most commonly used ones for me?

Here is the short list http://www.internetslang.com/

For the long list click on the first letter, or on ALL
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Abbreviations...? - 11/10/08 06:08 AM

Advanced Research Projects Agency

Effete????

I'm not usually given to smilies, but in this case, I'm really

But not

Posted By: whawn

Re: Abbreviations...? - 11/10/08 08:13 AM

Quote:

Effete????

Well, yeah! Why would anyone wanna slow down a perfectly good computer with pictures? ASCII forever!!!

"projects" <mumble> I knew that...
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum