The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

First Time Wedding Shoot

Posted By: Tyler

First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/25/09 02:17 PM

This is payback for me asking a friend of mine for the same thing when I got married So a family member is getting married on short notice in a small ceremony at the beach. I've been asked to the pictures. I'm a little nervous since this is kinda outta my realm and I'm not sure I have the best of gear for it (I don't even have a flash, only the built in one). I'm thinking I'll need to use my new 150mm 2.8 macro alot, but I do have an 18-200 and 18-55 vr at my disposal.

Any quick tips you more experienced people might have? What kinda shots should I be looking for? Maybe even a filter recommendation?
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/25/09 02:33 PM

My honest advice is to advise them to hire a professional photographer. Weddings are too important to leave to chance.

That said, you need to get some off camera flash, diffusers and reflectors. Maybe you can rent if buying isn't an option.

Another thing to consider is whether or not flash will even be allowed during the ceremony. It is a bigger issue inside churches and such, but you need to check with the person conducting the ceremony to see if they permit flash.

Check out as many of Joe McNally's outdoor shots as you can on his blog. He's good about teaching the way it was done.

Good luck!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/25/09 02:40 PM

Tyler,
I have a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm just putting my gear together too. My first suggestion is to log onto the Fred Miranda site and visit their wedding forum. There you'll see some samples of the types of shots that most couples expect as well as a wide variety of styles (traditional, journalistic, etc.). I'd also ask the couple what type of images they expect/want. That's the best place to start.

For weddings, I use my 17-55 F2.8IS, my 70-200 F2.8IS, two camera bodies, a 580EX on-camera flash for the reception candids and I carry my studio strobes for formals of the wedding party along with a Vagabond II battery pack.

While the zooms are my workhorse lenses, I also carry my 50 F1.4 and my 85 F1.8 just in case and for some nice available light selective-focus shots (rings, bouquets, candles, etc.). The artsy stuff!

What time is the ceremony? Beach shots are great but you have to deal with lots of light as opposed to what most of us have to deal with which is not enough light. If it's late in the day, you'll have to deal with a setting sun and, while that provides lovely light, it also makes having on-camera flash pretty necessary.

BTW, you can rent anything you need just for this shoot at places like Lens Depot, Lens Rentals dot com, etc. So you don't need to invest a lot to have the gear you need.

As for the product(s) you deliver, again, check out the Miranda site for tips and links to suppliers of albums, prints, books, etc.

And, lastly, good luck and have fun.

Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/25/09 06:50 PM

Hi Tyler,

Honestly, I agree with Jim about hiring a professional. It is only proper payback if you feel comfortable shooting the wedding and can do a job that you are proud of. Having said that, if this is a done deal, I agree that there are plenty of resources to look at.

First...check out the free forums. If you are looking for something slightly more advanced, you may want to check out our friends at the Digital Wedding Forum. The site offers 7 day free passes for you to take a look around and get some information. DWF is, in my opinion, the best resource out there for professional wedding photographers - bar none. I have been a member there for years, and know the owner well.

Second, the style of wedding photography you do will depend on the equipment you have and your comfort level. The lenses you have, assuming you have the proper light, will probably be adequate in a pinch. It is honestly hard to say since you have not really talked about what the wedding will look like exactly in terms of conditions. The general rule of thumb is that you want your glass to be as fast as you can afford. You might consider RENTING some lenses. Lens rental is quite cheap, and you may find that you want a 28-70 F2.8 and a couple of fast primes (depending on whatever type of camera system you own).

Outside of 'gear,' do you have any specific questions?

James

I'm a little nervous since this is kinda outta my realm and I'm not sure I have the best of gear for it (I don't even have a flash, only the built in one). I'm thinking I'll need to use my new 150mm 2.8 macro alot, but I do have an 18-200 and 18-55 vr at my disposal.

Any quick tips you more experienced people might have? What kinda shots should I be looking for? Maybe even a filter recommendation?

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/26/09 07:23 AM

I wasn't really given any details, just the date and time (2pm). I don't know if its indoors or out. They aren't having a reception either, so its just the ceremony. I guess my first steps are to get more info, and to check out the wedding forums for some shot ideas.

I'm pretty sure hiring a proffesional is out of the question for this couple due to finances, which is why they've asked me. Maybe they can foot a lens/flash rental.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/26/09 01:13 PM

Hey Tyler,

I think you are right. The first thing you need is information. The wedding photographer, because of the very nature of the job, often winds up being the defacto 'wedding coordinator' for the event. We need to have everything arranged, from the time the bride puts on the dress until the time that we last dance is had.

Once you can begin to determine the conditions, I think we can definitely help out a bit more. As to the footing the lens/flash rental - I think that is a good idea. If you rent some very fast lenses, you may want to rent them a few days early and practice shooting in some diferent scenarios. The bokeh is very different, and you want to know essentially what you can get away with (and what you can not).

James

PS I know I said to go to DWF earlier, but I just want to emphasize that again. It is a phenomenal resource for wedding photographers, and they have a very good beginners forum.
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/26/09 10:10 PM

If you have time, find another wedding photog, volunteer to be a second shooter. Take notes and ask questions. Make special notes of all the key things you must capture. Don't forget the little things, table settings, invitations and flowers and the like. Think photo journalistic. You have to tell the entire story of the entire day!

I have done weddings, and avoid them for many reasons. They are a pain and you can become the bad guy real fast. One bad shot and you screwed up bad. Take multiple of shots of everything. A closed eye, someone looks away. Multiple shots and you can merge to save the day. Backup body is mandatory. Be prepared, it is a very emotional day, and not in a good way when you will be looked upon to basically coordinate the entire day. Bring lots of memory cards and swap regularly. Be prepared and have the tools to do a ton of editing. From my perspective Lightroom is mandatory.

Also, be prepared cause Murphy will be with you.

Can you tell I despise shooting weddings? lol
Posted By: psmith

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/26/09 10:18 PM

Quote:

If you have time, find another wedding photog, volunteer to be a second shooter. Take notes and ask questions. Make special notes of all the key things you must capture. Don't forget the little things, table settings, invitations and flowers and the like. Think photo journalistic. You have to tell the entire story of the entire day!

I have done weddings, and avoid them for many reasons. They are a pain and you can become the bad guy real fast. One bad shot and you screwed up bad. Take multiple of shots of everything. A closed eye, someone looks away. Multiple shots and you can merge to save the day. Backup body is mandatory. Be prepared, it is a very emotional day, and not in a good way when you will be looked upon to basically coordinate the entire day. Bring lots of memory cards and swap regularly. Be prepared and have the tools to do a ton of editing. From my perspective Lightroom is mandatory.

Also, be prepared cause Murphy will be with you.

Can you tell I despise shooting weddings? lol

+1 on everything Wally said, PLUS bring lots of batteries for your bodies and flashes.
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/26/09 10:55 PM

SPARE EVERYTHING!!!
Posted By: Joe

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/27/09 01:49 PM

Tyler,

If you have enough time before the wedding takes place I can recommend the following book - Digital Wedding Photography. I found myself in a similar situation last year but had a few months to get ready for it and I found this book very helpful. It covers just about every aspect of shooting a wedding from equipment, preparation, shot lists, workflow, etc., etc.

Good Luck
Posted By: psmith

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/27/09 01:59 PM

Small ceremony at the beach + Murphy's Law = RAIN

Be prepared.

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 02/28/09 05:06 PM

Thank you everyone for the tips you have provided, I'm surprised at the amount of responses, and I think that shows what a good community this forum is. I'm glad I found it.

I will check that book out for sure, I've been meaning to go to the store to buy a different photo book anyways. Ya, March in Oregon...I'm guessing rain as well.

Re: First Time Wedding Shoot - 03/26/09 04:07 PM

Update:

Believe it or not, we had sun breaks at the beach. Unfortunately there was a fair bit of wind for the shots with just the bride and groom at the waters edge, so half of my photos the bride's hair was blowing across her face until I got smart and found the compromise between sunlight and wind direction.

The ceremony actually took place in a small whale watching gazebo that was fully enclosed, half of it glass windows. The light wasn't bad at all, and since the quarters were so close, I found myself sticking to the 18-55 VR. The wide shots look great. Some of the ones closer to the 55 ranger are a bit too dark, but seem like they won't be too bad to touch up in photoshop.

I have a lot more respect for wedding photographers now, and I can say this is not something I would want to do as a job =P. You're expected to get great shots, but not be in the way, and so much happens in a short time. Yikes.

I'm not sure what the family thinks of the shots yet, I'm sure my Aunt will be telling me soon though. Thanks again for the tips. As with my Winter Hawks shoot two weeks ago, I learned a ton doing this. I may not all of the knowledge in my Nature shots, but its good to know, and good to challenge myself and photograph new things.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum