The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Mt. Redoubt eruption

Posted By: DavidRamey

Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 06:33 PM

In the past 12 hours we have had 5 major volcano eruptions on Mt. Redoubt. The last eruption put ash into the air 9 miles high. Our electricity was shut off, so that the electric company could change grids to avoid ash damage to generators. Mt. Redoubt had 60 earthquakes in one hour before it erupted and 26 earthquakes in a 10 minute period. I had to go out this morning at sunrise and clean the air filters on the vehicles and put pantyhose over the air intakes. Pantyhose will help stop the ash from entering the engines. I have my generator filled with gasoline, have bottled water in case of water contamination and plenty of wood for the woodstove (we are still in winter here with 3 feet of snow on the ground and temps around 20F).
Posted By: Wacky roger

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 06:45 PM

Good luck and be careful.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 07:07 PM

So far, the ash is being blown towards Mt. McKinley and not towards us.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 09:19 PM

Hey David,

I saw the news this morning and thought of you immediately - particularly given the photos you were sharing last week before the power got cut. I hope this has no serious impact on you and that you will be able to watch this as a spectator. If you have photos in the future, I would love to see them.

On an entirely separate note, I was listening to Click and Clack this weekend, and they were talking about the possibility of the volcano going off and one thing they mentioned was problems with auto-mobiles getting ash in their system, particularly cars with turbos. You might want to download the podcast if it is available to you (it is free on itunes). Or, LOL, it may be of no help to you at all. :P

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 09:32 PM

Good luck, David. Get some photos if you can.

Jim

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 09:42 PM

Quote:

Hey David,

On an entirely separate note, I was listening to Click and Clack this weekend, and they were talking about the possibility of the volcano going off and one thing they mentioned was problems with auto-mobiles getting ash in their system, particularly cars with turbos. You might want to download the podcast if it is available to you (it is free on itunes). Or, LOL, it may be of no help to you at all. :P

James

I don't buy cars or trucks with turbos. To keep the ash out of the engine, you put panyhose over the air intake and have a good CLEAN air filter in the car. That is what I did this morning at sunrise. I can't get photo of the volcano because of cloud cover. They are predicting snow so it may be over before I can get photos. The only impact it would have on me is if the ash blows this way (west to east) and then it is just a minor annoyance unless you have respitory problems, then it is serious. I am pretty much self sufficient here. I am on the power grid, but if we loose power, I just hook up the generator and life goes on almost as normal. I want the sky to clear and when I go down to the beach I want to see Mt Redoubt blow fire and smoke 50,000 feet into the air so I can get some GREAT photos.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 11:05 PM

Good luck, David. Hope you safely get that shot of a lifetime.

Other uses for pantyhose: http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/extraordinary-uses-for-pantyhose/article23970.html
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 11:15 PM

David:

When I heard at lunch that your mountain had blown its top, the first thing I did upon arriving home was fire up the computer to see if NWP was back up, and if there was a status report from you. Glad to hear all is well. Take care and stay safe.

Jim

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/23/09 11:57 PM

I am not in any danger from this volcano erupting. It is 60 miles across Cook Inlet from me. No lava can get to me and I have had the ash dumped on me before when it last blew. When the ash falls, it turns day into night and turns the snow black. It is like being in a tunnel with no lights on. Just a minor irritation.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/26/09 04:22 PM

An update to the Mt. Redoubt eruption:
In a 24 hour period of time on March 22 to March 23, 2009 Mt. Redoubt erupted 6 times. Ash clouds went up to 50,000 feet into the air. The volcanic eruption MELTED the drift glacier and sent it down the mountain. The high water marks along the drift river was 26 feet high and went 22 miles to Cook Inlet. Although there is still seismic unrest, it has subsided enough that the status of the mountain has been downgraded from Red to Orange.

I have not been able to get any photos due to cloud cover.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/26/09 06:24 PM

Right after I wrote the update, we had 2 volcanic eruptions and this time there is an ash cloud rising to 65,000 feet and it is heading my way. The status has been raised from orange to red. We have a weather advisory of the ash fallout hiting us in about 2 hours. I will be shutting down my computer before the ash falls. If we do get the ash, I will take photos of the ash falling, take macro shots of the ash particles and take photos of the ash on top of the snow.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/27/09 04:20 PM

Well, we just got a little bit of ash. I collected some on a coffee filter and got enough ash to be the size of a dime. This was after 4 hours of collecting.

Mt. Redoubt erupted again last night at 11:47pm and we have an ash advisory until 12:00 pm (noon). I still haven't gotten any photos yet due to cloud cover. I feel like chartering a helicopter and flying around Mt. Redoubt to get my photos.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/27/09 05:04 PM

Hey David,

Thanks for the continued updates. The idea of chartering a helicopter sounds really interesting. What does the scene look like with the cloud cover there?

James

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/27/09 05:16 PM

It looks like your typical overcast day.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/27/09 05:47 PM

There are some obseratory photos at

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/27/09 05:48 PM

Quote:

I feel like chartering a helicopter and flying around Mt. Redoubt to get my photos.

What does the ash do to helicopter engines?

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/27/09 06:01 PM

It destroys the engines. Any pilot worth flying with would not fly into the ash cloud. The alaska volcano observatory is using helicopters to fly around Mt. Redoubt. That is how they are getting their video. Volcanic ash shows up on Doppler Radar, and this is one reason why the Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO) works closely with the National Weather Service; it gives AVO the use of Doppler Radar to schedule their flights to repair the cameras, to record video, and for other scientific studies they do on or around Mt. Redoubt during the eruptions.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/27/09 06:32 PM

We had another eruption at 8:40am this morning. Ash cloud is moving to the north.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/27/09 06:51 PM

Anybody that would like more information about the Mt. Redoubt eruptions can follow it here AVO/Redoubt
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/28/09 04:13 AM

Basicly helicoptors use mini jet engines for their power...so they have to be just as careful as the planes.

Only diffrence is planes ant auto-rotate to the ground....gravity is a grim master.

Roman

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/28/09 02:36 PM

Looks like a better day for photos.

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/image.php?id=17278

That is one busy mountain.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/29/09 12:05 AM

Alaska's Mount Redoubt spews ash 50,000 feet high

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090328/ap_on_re_us/alaska_volcano

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/29/09 01:18 AM

I was able to get photos today.

Taken with a 16mm lens

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/29/09 01:22 AM

Mt Redoubt erupted again today at around 3:30 pm

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/30/09 07:35 PM

The last major eruption was on March 28 at 7:23 pm. Yesterday we had no eruptions but Mt. Redoubt let off some steam at 11:20 am and at 11:14 pm. This morning Mt. Redoubt started erupting again (small eruptions) at 9:44am and again at 10:50 pm. The ash clouds are small and only going up to 20,000 feet as apposed to the eruptions of last week that the ash clouds went up to 65,000 feet (about 12.3 miles high).

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 03/31/09 02:46 AM

I am going down to the beach and watch for a volcano eruption. Maybe I can get some good photos if it erupts while I am there.

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 04/04/09 04:42 PM

Hey Folks,

For people who may be interested, I have been adding information on the eruption in the National Park News section.

David, get any good photos since?

James

Re: Mt. Redoubt eruption - 04/04/09 08:23 PM

Mt Redoubt finally erupted again this morning at 6:00 am. I have been down on the beach taking photos and will be going back out this afternoon and evening as we finally have clear skies to take some photos. The ash went SE from the volcano to Anchor Point and Homer. I have had reports that 1/2" of ash fell on Homer.

This one you can see the ash falling on the left side of the photo.

© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum