The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Amazon I need advice

Posted By: outdoorpassion

Amazon I need advice - 03/25/09 12:01 AM

I am looking at buying a Canon Rebel XSi from amazon.com. It is about $150.00 cheaper than any other place I have looked. Has anybody had any bad experiences buying from them? It says that it is sold and shipped by amazon.com, so there shouldn't be any problems with a "third party" right?

Thanks!

DAN
Posted By: psmith

Re: Amazon I need advice - 03/25/09 12:56 AM

I've never had a problem with stuff that Amazon sells and ships. The third party sellers are a different story.

Before you buy the Xsi, do you want to read this link?

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2009/03/new-canon-500d-digital-rebel-coming-on-march-25.html

That could explain a price drop. It also looks like it may have an articulating hi res LCD.

But, its just a rumor.

Re: Amazon I need advice - 03/25/09 01:44 AM

I am planning on getting on sometime around the end of April so hopefully more about that "rumor" will come around. How would I find out if they do release a new one?

Re: Amazon I need advice - 03/25/09 01:55 AM

Well that rumor should be verified or dispelled by tomorrow morning. check the news on DPReview

Sometimes those press releases are done at 8am London time, so you might know in a few hours.

Re: Amazon I need advice - 03/25/09 01:57 AM

Ok Thank you!

Canon 500D - 03/25/09 04:26 AM

And like clockwork:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09032504canoneos500d.asp
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Canon 500D - 03/25/09 12:52 PM

...yuppers. It looks like it is the 2nd Canon to incorporate Video. I am still not sure why they did not put it into the 50d, but that is a story for another day. BTW, thanks for the link, Preston, above. What a cool little site.

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Amazon I need advice - 03/25/09 01:43 PM

Dan,
to answer your initial question, I've had excellent luck with Amazon but not always with their 3rd party sellers -- as Preston points out.

As for the new 500D, technology rolls inexorably on and this is a block-buster, entry-level feature-set. Wow. If it weren't for the rather low fps (comparatively) and the use of SD cards, I'd consider it as a backup.

If price is your objective, the XSi will be an outstanding bargain. If state-of-the-art at an entry-level price is the objective, it looks like the 500D will be hard to beat.

Happy hunting!!

Jim

Canon 500D / 50D images - 03/25/09 11:41 PM

Well if you scroll down on this there are some samples at different ISOs already up. I think my 50D just lost some resale value.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T1I/T1IA.HTM
Posted By: salden

Re: Canon 500D / 50D images - 05/01/09 09:40 AM

I never had a problem with Amazon, nor their 3rd party sellers either. I recommend Amazon or BH Photo.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum