The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Are you upgrading Windows?

Posted By: psmith

Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/01/09 10:44 AM

For you PC users out there, are you upgrading to Windows 7, and why?
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/01/09 11:35 AM

Now, no. Eventually, yes. I have had small issues but annoying ones with Vista Ultimate 64 bit, which by the way is all my monster machine (D10) will run on. I also run XP and XP pro on my other machines. Not nearly the issues but still have some. The main reason I will upgrade is Vista support will go away. The only things I really care about with my OS are stability and compatibility and networking. I use external applications for everything I do.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/01/09 02:17 PM

NO

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/01/09 02:43 PM

Well, I think the upgrade should just be another service pack to Vista. Anyway, I've got probably 2 years left on my machine and eventually will end up with v7 if not by choice then by default. So the pre-order fire sale is only until July 11. Then there is the question of the Laptop, if it doesn't make it for 2 more years, do I want to be running 3 versions of Windows (viewing station/XP, workhorse/Vista, Laptop/Vista.

Waiting for Roman to weigh in...

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/01/09 03:43 PM

i'm dumping microsoft, i was hopful that they would line out so to speak, but i've been saying that since i switched to MS from Mac in 1996. . . I only switched for my job, or I never would have done it, MS is off in the ditch in my view. . .

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/01/09 03:56 PM

Well, my brain has been contaminated with Microsoft since the first version of Windows. I've tried Macs and can't get anything done. I guess they are too intuitive. So I'm afflicted with Windows.
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/02/09 01:43 AM

Right now I am running Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3) on a Dell 2GHz Pentium 4 with 1.5 gig of RAM. It was pretty bleeding edge when I got it, but is getting pretty long in the tooth now. Obviously, I won't be upgrading the OS until I upgrade the hardware.

When I do upgrade, it will be a 64 bit system. I've been waiting for MS to work the bugs out of Vista though.

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on one of the deals Dell keeps hammering my email box with, but decided to blow it on a new camera instead. Going to Alaska in August and figured the camera was easier to carry.

Jim

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/02/09 07:21 PM

"I've been waiting for MS to work the bugs out of Vista though."

Exactly, in fact i've been waiting for them to figure out windows since it arrived. . . good grief, MS has created a new OS faster than it could "fix" or manage the one they already released. Vista was so horrible that MS had to re release XP . . .
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/02/09 09:40 PM

No, in fact I'm plain fed up with it. Year in year out, one problem after the other. I have been wanting to go to Mac for awhile now. But two years ago the VA gave me a new computer running Windows as part of my disabled vet retraining program. So, until it totally dies (or I sell a bunch of work, LOL!!) I cannot justify replacing it.

Still a total crash in April that I've still not fully recovered from and one virus after the other despite Anti-Virus, spyware, firewalls, etc. Right now it takes me about 3 reboots to get explorer up and running. My anti-Virus keeps identifying and removing a threat but cannot tell me what it is.

Anyway, I've digressed into a moan session on windows instead of just answering the question, sorry.

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/02/09 10:40 PM

Jim,

You might be better off to try Firefox or Chrome instead of Explorer, they often work even when Explorer is bombing, and they seem less susceptible to viruses.

Good luck.
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/07/09 07:32 PM

I have never used Vista and XP Pro was the most stable version of Windows I have had. I went 3 years without a crash. I am already using Windows 7. When I built my new computer, Windows 7 already had the drivers for the motherboard installed and I never needed the motherboard installation disc. Everything I own that worked trouble free on XP has worked trouble free on Windows 7. Windows 7 is FASTER than XP and can run more RAM. My current computer that I use for processing my photos is Intel i7 2.66GHz processor on an Asus motherboard with 12 MB of RAM. The programs are on a Western Digital 10,000RPM hard drive, scratch disc on Western Digital 10,000RPM hard drive and my photos are on 3 Western Digital 7200RPM Black Caviar 1 TB hard drives. To download an 8GB CF card, rename, and enter IPTC info takes 3.5 minutes. I can edit photos just as fast as I can scroll through the photos. Photo Mechanic is much faster. Nikon Capture NX2 is lightning fast. Will I upgrade? I already have.

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/07/09 10:19 PM

Thanks David, it is good to hear from someone who has been running the beta.

I think I'll probably go for the half price upgrade while it is available.

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/08/09 12:59 AM

Actually, I am not running the Beta, but the release canidate. I beta test for Nikon, Nik, Microsoft and a few others that I can't tell about because of an NDS.

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/08/09 02:35 AM

Sorry...it is good to hear from someone who is running the Release Candidate

{beta was quicker to type...sorry)
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/08/09 01:36 PM

I have had zero problems from Vista, and will end up with Windows 7 when it comes out. Already did a Windows 7 beta (RC)...had a few issues (but it is still in beta mode even if they call it RC).

Looking forward to upgrading my hardware soon so both should work very nicely.

I support windows for a living so this is probably a big factor in using it.

Roman

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/08/09 02:08 PM

Thanks everybody. I just ordered the upgrades while the 1/2 price thing is going. I'm hoping to upgrade in place when I get it...and I'm hoping it will be painless.

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/08/09 10:15 PM

Roman, are you having any home network issues? Are you running other machines on xp, xp pro or vista on that network? I am concerned as they say "homegroup" runs with all machines on 7. I would convert my vista machine to 7 but I have work laptops and other machines I have to stay on xp pro.

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/09/09 01:49 AM

I have computers with XP Home and XP Pro networked with my computer using Windows 7 with no issues. I just used it for 2 weeks on the road for photographing a Flyball tournament, photographing in Denali National Park and photographing an AKC Dog Agility Trial.
Posted By: jamesdak

Another virus attack! - 07/09/09 03:49 AM

I can't win with windows, Went to a local business site to get some contact information and got nailed with yet another virus. Here I am trying to submit some work with them and now I'm back into trying to eliminate yet another virus, very frustrating. I run virus protection, maleware,spyware, and a firewall and all they seem to be able to do is tell me that I've got yet another virus. What a frustrating issue that seems to occur way too often.

Back in my military days it was good to "exact" a little justice on some of the world's problems. I'd like to catch some of these malicious hackers in my sights right now, exhale, squeeze.

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/09/09 05:21 AM

I haven't had a virus in years since I changed over to AVS. AVS doesn't slow down your computer like Norton or McAfee does.

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/09/09 11:48 AM

David...did you mean AVG? I can't find anything on AVS.

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/09/09 05:29 PM

I meant AVG, sorry about the typo.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/09/09 05:37 PM

From my PC days, I can second AVG as the best out there.

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/09/09 06:08 PM

The hackers are hitting XP and Server 2003 hard this week because Microsoft has an unplugged hole.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/972890.mspx
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/10/09 02:02 PM

I have had zero problems networking vista XP and Win7 on my home network.

Roman

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/10/09 05:09 PM

Thanks for the info David and Roman.
Posted By: lucy

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/10/09 07:23 PM

The virus has hit the computer system where I work. Some employees cannot even log in. We have a very big organization and there are not enough techs to keep up with problem.

L
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Another virus attack! - 07/10/09 08:58 PM

I switched to AVG a couple of years ago because I was sick of Norton slowing my computer to a crawl and its insistence on doing what it wanted regardless of my wishes. (Kind of like Microsoft) Full Internet Security Suite for 3 computers for two years = $69.00 Daily updates. No infections!

I also use Mozilla Firefox for my web browser & Mozilla Thunderbird for email, which I think helps avoid a lot of problems.
Posted By: gll

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/11/09 12:39 AM

Been running the winders 7 beta for a month or so and so far so good, I think its faster with CS4, I have very few lockups, (now I jinxed it )
Posted By: adamcoupe

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/24/09 09:38 PM

Not until they withdraw support for Vista

Has anyone succesfully converted to Linux, found alternatives for key windows based programmes and migrated data across without hassle? I like the thought but...

Adam

www.adamcoupe.com/portfolio
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Are you upgrading Windows? - 07/27/09 04:12 AM

Hey Adam,

No...and I have thought about it. However, the nice thing about Linux is that it is easy to create a dual-boot system...so you can through Linux what you can and Windows for everything else.

Honestly, I really use only 5 or 6 programs on the computer...(1) Capture One, (2) Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird, (5) Photo Shop and the (6) Sun MicroSystem Suite (an excellent word clone). I have even debated jumping to Mac, but the cost is so incredibly prohibitive.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum