The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Black & White with color

Posted By: Wacky roger

Black & White with color - 07/14/09 02:54 AM

Two tone Black & White

Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Black & White with color - 07/14/09 10:38 AM

That Osprey is gorgeous! I like the train.

Pj
Posted By: LilyPotter

Re: Black & White with color - 07/14/09 12:26 PM

I see another bird in the nest. Is that baby osprey?
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Black & White with color - 07/14/09 07:58 PM

Roger,
incorporating color into B&W images is a technique that has to be used very carefully. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

I like it in the Osprey shot because the color is of a similar pallet to the rest of the image. It highlights the catch without being a jarring ingredient in the overall composition.

In the train pic, I think I'd prefer it completely in B&W. The image itself is very nice and the use of color -- especially very bright color -- strikes me as gimmicky. Clearly, this is a very subjective opinion and what is far more important is how you feel about the effects. If they work for you then that's your vision. But that train shot would be great with or without the colorization.

Jim

Re: Black & White with color - 07/16/09 08:10 AM

Quote:

That Osprey is gorgeous! I like the train.

Pj

thank you PJ

Re: Black & White with color - 07/16/09 08:11 AM

Quote:

I see another bird in the nest. Is that baby osprey?

The one you see is the mother of 3 young'uns.

Re: Black & White with color - 07/16/09 08:13 AM

Quote:

Roger,
incorporating color into B&W images is a technique that has to be used very carefully. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

I like it in the Osprey shot because the color is of a similar pallet to the rest of the image. It highlights the catch without being a jarring ingredient in the overall composition.

In the train pic, I think I'd prefer it completely in B&W. The image itself is very nice and the use of color -- especially very bright color -- strikes me as gimmicky. Clearly, this is a very subjective opinion and what is far more important is how you feel about the effects. If they work for you then that's your vision. But that train shot would be great with or without the colorization.

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the look and comment. Actually I have the original train shot in color, B&W & Sepia. I was just trying something new for my railroad client.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Black & White with color - 07/21/09 10:33 PM

Hey Roger,

I agree with Jim. Doing B&W/Color combos was very popular when digital first erupted. I got out of it over time - mostly trying to get back to what I was used to doing. I think that there is plenty of place though to do B&W/Color combos - particularly when isolating the subject in some way from the rest of the image. Hopefully though the image stands on its own without it. LOL, if a client wants it, a client gets it though...few things are ever more important than that.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum