The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

So you Easteners think you have snow??

Posted By: glamson

So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/10/10 12:39 AM

It's that time of the year again when I post my snow reality check for all you people on the east coast who think you have snow. As many of you know, I live up at Donner Summit in CA. Snow is a way of life up hear for about 5 months out of the year. This season has been the biggest one in the last 5 years and at mid season we have had over 200 inches of snow and are on track for 400+ by the end of the season.

Here is a pic of my cabin a couple of weeks ago. There is approximates 12-15 feet surrounding the cabin right now. We could easily have 20 feet by the end of Feb. It really helps to have your own industrial strength snow blower to keep the driveway clear.

So you have three feet on the ground on the east coast. Oh my!

Geo

Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/10/10 01:41 AM

LOL, You are also a lot better prepaid than the average person around here.

I'd love it at your cabin with a tractor and a place to put the extra snow.

Beautiful!
Posted By: psmith

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/10/10 05:28 AM

Can I come visit? It looks beautiful.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/10/10 10:56 PM

what a shack, is that the place where the Donner party slept? LOL

Thanks for posting, love the update. . . we dont have any snow here in glacier park, it's sad, going to be fire year hear if we dont get some precip this spring!
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/11/10 03:32 AM

I love the snow if I don't have to get out and drive in it. I'm with Preston, I think we should all come invade your cozy cabin for a slumber party and long weekend mountain snow photo shoot.

Diana
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/11/10 07:03 AM

Do I hear NWP West Head Quarters???? That just looks awesome.

Tony - NO SNOW in Glacier???????? That is a news story all on its own.

NYC just got about 12 inches. Fortunately, I was able to drive the car down to Penn Hotel this morning to set-up and even found a parking space coming back. Pretty cool. LOL, I believe in CAR-ma. If I do something right in the world, I get good parking. :P

James
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/11/10 11:23 AM

I am heading back to Siberia next month, -57 yesterday. We ain't got no stinkin snow plows or snow blowers, I do have pair snowshoes

Love the image, can you move that cottage to Russia.
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/14/10 04:45 AM

What a beautiful cabin. Nice picture, too.
Posted By: Aubrey

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/14/10 07:31 AM

We have snow in Southern California, too. But we don't have to shovel it. We prefer to adore it from a distance. See the attached.

Attached picture 28533-snow-mtn-&-duck-4-web.gif

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/18/10 01:25 AM

What a beautiful view Aubrey. What area are you in?

Diana
Posted By: adamcoupe

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/18/10 03:15 PM

Hi

We think we have it bad when we get 8 inches!

Regards

Adam
www.adamcoupe.com/portfolio
Posted By: Aubrey

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/21/10 05:43 AM

Hi Diana,

We're in the California desert. The view in the photo is the San Jacinto mountains.

Where are you?

Aubrey

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 02/26/10 06:03 AM

Quote:

Hi Diana,

We're in the California desert. The view in the photo is the San Jacinto mountains.

Where are you?

Aubrey

I'm in San Diego. I have a friend that lives near Mountain Center, I love that area.
Diana
Posted By: Julie

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 03/06/10 02:42 AM

The entire city shuts down when they predict an inch. And don't think I am joking....

Love your house!!

Re: So you Easteners think you have snow?? - 03/07/10 02:39 PM

Well..it looks like it is about over for us. It is going to be 50 degrees today. Last week, we had a foot of snow that lasted about 72 hours. LOL, it is a pity. I can never get enough snow.

James

Sierras - springtime in the air - 03/18/10 01:51 PM

Now that spring is just around the corner I thought I'd update my previous snow report for spring in the Sierras. We just had another storm a couple of days ago that left us another foot. If you look at my OP you will notice that we have had a couple more feet since then. The temp just went over 50 for the first time since November this week so I'm sure we should lose all this snow in another month or two although in really shady spots we will have snow until July 4th.

Here's the view off our second story deck

And the view out our second story kitchen window

Re: Sierras - summertime in the air - 05/23/10 04:41 PM

Now that June is just around the corner I have to admit that even I am getting tired of our extended winter up here on Donner Summit. Last night we got 4 inches of snow and this morning the thermometer read 19 degrees. As you can see from the pic I took this morning, we still have 5-8 ft of snow on the ground with some drifts still up at 15 ft. This afternoon we are taking the dogs out on a cross country ski to one of our local peaks.

However, enough is enough and I'm ready for summer to be here so we can start hiking, biking and kayaking. Even for up here this is a pretty late winter.

Re: Sierras - summertime in the air - 05/23/10 08:05 PM

Hey George,

This is just amazing. I was just complaining to Chanthee about how hot it is getting here in NYC. It has been a bit of a schizophrenic Spring - with days in the 90s followed by days in the 50s.

James
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Sierras - summertime in the air - 05/26/10 03:59 AM

What A Cool Cabin! ( real cool!!!!) If you run outa fuel for the snow blower they will never see you again! I gotta laugh cause in the Wasatch Front, I shovel all winter, I want that snow blower!!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum