The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Merry Christmas Everyone

Posted By: James Morrissey

Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/25/10 12:28 AM

Hi Everyone,

I hope that everyone has a great Christmas. We are visiting family in RI and will back Sunday Eve.

James
Posted By: psmith

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/25/10 01:25 AM

Sunday Eve? That would be Saturday.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/25/10 01:35 AM

Leave it to the cat guy to be a smartypants.

Merry Christmas and safe travels!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/25/10 02:42 PM

Travel safely, James. They are predicting snow for your return trip. This year, everyone is coming here today. Linda and I cooked for 4 hours yesterday and watched the dogs drooling for 4 hours outside of the kitchen . Merry Christmas everyone.

Jim
Posted By: Julie

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/25/10 03:58 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/26/10 12:58 AM

Hey Everone,

Did we get anything photography related? I officially became a 4/3 photographer today!! Chanthee purchased me a P-E2! I was shocked. I had not planned to purchase until March/April when the prices usually drop.

James
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/26/10 02:23 AM

Merry Christmas!

Congrats on the new toy James! And drive careful! The Cape and RI are supposed to be hit worse than Ct and Ny
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/26/10 06:40 AM

I hope all of the friends I've never met here at NWP had a joyous Christmas and wish you all a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2011.

James, congratulations on your newest photography acquisition. I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot.

In response to your question about any photography related Christmas gifts, my wife gave me Adobe Lightroom 3. Her timing is excellent. Up to now, I have been using Photoshop Elements 6. However, I recently upgraded my computer and, although I backed up my Catalogs on an external hard drive, I was unable to transfer them to the new computer. So, I lost my cataloging and key wording. I think LR will make cataloging and key wording my pictures a lot easier.

Jim
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/26/10 04:45 PM

Hope you all had an amazing Christmas day and you are enjoying all your special gifts. James, cannot wait to see what you create with your new toy. Jim, I am curious how well you like Lightroom.

I think today I will spend the day reading one of my gift books "I Remember Nothing" = Okay not photo related but humor can make it easier to read the how to manuals!

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/27/10 04:23 AM

LOL, you are right on the money, Peggy. Well, our trip ended at about 6:30PM. We left at around noon hoping to get in before the blizzard occurred, starting at about 3 PM. LOL, that sure did not happen. The trip usually takes about 3 hours with a stop. Today, we witnessed 12 - yes 12 - accidents on the road. Fortunately, we were in none of them. I will give the some real props. We never felt out of control even once. We were watching cars and trucks sliding all over the place and we just kept chugging.

I got in, finished the last Wyoming article. I need to start on Julie's next. We have had some family issues that have delayed things a bit. Fortunately, they have cleared up.

Cheers
James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Merry Christmas Everyone - 12/31/10 07:44 PM

Quote:

Hope you all had an amazing Christmas day and you are enjoying all your special gifts. James, cannot wait to see what you create with your new toy. Jim, I am curious how well you like Lightroom.

I think today I will spend the day reading one of my gift books "I Remember Nothing" = Okay not photo related but humor can make it easier to read the how to manuals!

Hi Peggy!

I'm not a pro shooter -- in fact my goal is to some day work my way up to being an adequately skilled amateur -- so my comments come from that perspective.

I haven't started the process of reorganizing and re-cataloging my images in Lightroom yet, but I have been playing with it a bit. I've also started working my way through Scott Kelby's book and have been watching several of the myriad of online tutorials.

So far, I've found a lot that I like about it. As I said in my post above, up to now, I had been using Elements 6 for all of my processing, organizing, and viewing images. I have been shooting RAW + highest quality jpegs, but I had yet to master the art of post processing RAW files, so I would end up doing minimal, if any, adjustments to the jpegs and then saving the edited version either in a version set with the original or as a copy. Mostly shadow/highlights adjustments, some contrast & saturation adjustments, & occasional color correction. Was never able to do any effective sharpening or noise reduction.

Here's what I like so far:

The overall design and organization of LR seems to facilitate a systematic work flow approach to processing images.

The easy to use presets and ability to use them to make global adjustments to all images on import and/or select a batch of images and have the same adjustments made to all of them. Like Ty indicated in the Lightroom vs. CS5 thread, up to now, I have been laboriously tweeking jpegs one at a time.

The noise reduction in LR is much easier and more effective.

In the "Organize" module of Elements 6, it would show each image twice -- RAW and JPEG. With LR you just see it once.

It integrates well with Elements 6.

For the time being, it is safe to say that I expect it to have a dramatic impact on the way I shoot and process images. For one thing, I will probably stop shooting RAW + JPEG and just shoot RAW. I also plan to follow Roman's lead and sign up for a year's worth of access to Kelby online training.

Jim
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum