The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today

Posted By: James Morrissey

I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 01/26/11 09:32 PM

Hey Everyone,

For folks who are interested, I THINK I saw an iPad 2 on the subway today. A fellow had an ipad in a plastic case which he was using on the subway. There was a hole on the top of the ipad where the camera is supposed to be on the new model. I did not see much more than that. The 'Home' button was still definitely on the unit. I had read that it is allegedly being taken off of the ipad. This one thing make me think that it is possible that either I was mistaken or that it is a prototype (or, that the information is incorrect and that the home button is staying on the next generation ipad).

When I asked the gentleman about it (lol, I am nosy), it was quickly put away and told it was just a regular iPad.

James

I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 01/26/11 09:38 PM

One more thing. I was able to ask the gentleman a question about what I thought was a camera phone. I was told that the hole was a 'sensor' and that I was mis-perceiving it to be a camera. As many of you know, I own an iPad and there is no such sensor where the hole in the shield was located. It looked like a device from a camera phone - though again, I am certainly not willing to bet the farm on this.

James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 01/26/11 11:58 PM

Hi James:

I'm sure you are correct. It must have been a prototype & what you thought was a camera probably was just that, a built in web cam.

Jim

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 01/27/11 04:20 AM

I wish I had not been such an idiot and thought quickly enough to take a photograph of the thing while the fellow was using it. I had my Pen E-P2 with me, so it would have been easy enough. I just did not think QUICKLY enough.

James
Posted By: psmith

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 01/27/11 04:31 AM

Maybe we'll know on Feb 9.
Posted By: Lesley

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 02/09/11 11:30 AM

I am waiting for news on the iPad II , because I am going to get one... I do not own one at present and am very excited about it. I'm one of those girls that traded in wanting diamnonds and gold for tekkie toys about 12 years ago! I hope Apple has it out in April...

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 02/09/11 03:18 PM

iPad 2 in production... http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704364004576132643125168876.html
Posted By: Lesley

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 02/10/11 11:05 AM

thanks for that linl... I can't wait for April to see if it is available!

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 02/15/11 12:42 PM

So, I guess that nothing new has been heard, eh?

James

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/03/11 03:34 AM

Well - following all of the announcements today, and having seen the recent ipad photos, I am 100% convinced that what I saw a couple of weeks ago was the ipad 2.

For folks who have not seen all of the stats:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/0...ns-answered.ars

The only thing that is missing? How much memory does this thing actually have? The ipad only has 256 megs. The new xoom has 1 gig. Where does the ipad 2 fall?

Thanks
James

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/03/11 03:47 AM

They were asked that question and they answered that they preferred to talk about the 9x increase in graphics and 2x increase in speed rather than the technical capacity of a chip. I'm paraphrasing... They kinda have a point.

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/03/11 03:48 AM

I'm sure there will be a teardown as soon as they are shipped.

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/04/11 03:44 AM

LOL, per your Photographers with Ipads page, it is 512 megs of ram - same as the iphone 4. I am still ambivalent about upgrading. The changes seem so incredibly incremental - and that xoom looks really sweet, so I can only imagine that the ipad 3 will be really (really) impressive.

Having said that, I will probably unload the money when I get back from Death Valley - assuming I have any money left. :P

James

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/04/11 05:04 AM

I think the strength of the Apps for the iPad is greatly underestimated. I'm finding the Apps for a site are a way better experience than the browser experience. Banking..eBay..craigslist..CNN..not to mention the business apps and photography specific apps.

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/07/11 04:18 AM

I handled a Xoom today at Costco. I did NOT like the product at all...though the fact that it had a USB port and HDMI were nice features. I had thought - briefly - that perhaps the Xoom was going to be the product to beat...LOL, at which point I would have to start 'Photographers with Xooms' on Facebook. Having said that, it looks like if we upgrade the ipad it will be to the new 2.

James
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/07/11 12:46 PM

I won't be upgrading any time soon. I really enjoy the one iPad I have left, but I'll probably skip a generation.

I am, however, looking at the possibility of four Mac Book Airs for travel to shows.

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/07/11 06:48 PM

Wouldn't 4 cheap notebooks go a lot farther?

James

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/07/11 07:21 PM

I've got a deal for you on a Toshbia netbook that I haven't booted up since I got my iPad.

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/07/11 07:46 PM

Preston,

How are you using your ipad as a viewing station? Are you shooting RAW? How are you converting once you get done with the shots??

James

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/07/11 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: James Morrissey
Preston,

How are you using your ipad as a viewing station? Are you shooting RAW? How are you converting once you get done with the shots??

James

At the moment I'm not using it as a viewing station. I'm using an old laptop. The netbook was too small for people to see. I still have high hopes of using the iPad when the software catches up.

I do always shoot RAW + Jpg so that I can show the JPGs immediately. I'm trying to figure out if Home Sharing is going to help, but it looks like it will only work on Macs.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: I Think I Saw the iPad2 Today - 03/08/11 10:45 AM

If you set up WAMP / MAMP and a website, you can connect the iPad to the IP address given by WAMP and view that way.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum