The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

That shuttle photo and copyright

Posted By: psmith

That shuttle photo and copyright - 05/24/11 11:43 AM

Just an article I found interesting on copyright. Note that Carolyn Wright is the quoted expert.

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/...haring-stealing
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: That shuttle photo and copyright - 05/24/11 11:32 PM

And the fight continues. It does not look like this issue will ever get any easier.
We are fighting in our area with Forest Preserves (public land) that if you are a pro (making a profit) you need to pay a permit fee to shoot there. In the hundreds:(

So if someone takes a unusual picture with their phone, and they sell it somewhere they need to pay a fee for having walked in a park! But if you make money from photography you don't have the same right to just take a few shots. Think I might just start shooting with my phone- LOL

What is your take on this article Preston?
Posted By: psmith

Re: That shuttle photo and copyright - 05/25/11 03:44 PM

PeggySue,

I think the girl hit the lottery. Got lucky and 'snapped' a shot. I believe that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely eventually type the text for the book "War and Peace".

In this case the girl was in the right place at the right time and had the initiative to think of her phone camera and take the shot. Good for her. And if she had not tweeted it no one would have ever known about it.

So I see this more in a lesson of how do you get paid for the third parties that profited on your work. I found Carolyn Wrights advice spot on. The one gotcha in here is Tweetpics rights to resell, something I wasn't aware of.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum