The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Sad Story

Posted By: James Morrissey

Sad Story - 08/29/11 05:54 AM

Tonight, my neighbor came by the apartment around 10 PM. She came to tell me that they had found a cat in the garden. I went downstairs to check her out. She was being kept by a resident in the complex.

She was a black cat and she was bleeding out of her nose and I could see redness in her right eye. She had worms and maggots on her. We took her to the vet and named her "Irene" in honor of the storm.

Anyway, the vet indicated that treating her would be thousands of dollars and the prognosis was still very poor. We wound up giving her the pink juice.

Not sure why I am telling the story (I certainly don't want a 'you did the best you could') - but, it has not been a good night. I feel bad because this cat had obviously been a kept cat and was let out when she got too big. The poor girl had a flee collar on and it was so tight around her neck that the marks in her fur were still there hours after my neighbors found the cat. Sigh.

James
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Sad Story - 08/29/11 12:29 PM

Sorry James,

Sorry you had to go through that, at least the little girl had some body to care about her and she didn't suffer any longer. Sometimes these events just hit you harder than they normally would.

HUGS!
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Sad Story - 08/30/11 12:30 PM

So sorry for the depressing and disturbing aspects of our lives.
Posted By: Diane

Re: Sad Story - 09/05/11 03:38 PM

OMG!!! Some people really suck. But sometimes, maybe a pet just gets injured, confused and lost. I wonder if her owners ever looked for her? And, this is testament to why cats should always have break-away collars. Suffice it to say, it's good knowing that people like you are around to give comfort to those poor critters during their worst, and do what's necessary to put the animal out of its misery. Thank you, Jim, for this special act of kindness.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Sad Story - 09/07/11 03:49 AM

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the very kind thoughts. As I said, I was not looking for an 'atta boy' when I posted this - though I really do appreciate the well wishes. I was mostly just morose when I posted this.

Cats get left all over the place here in the City - and we find them at all ages. This poor girl was the worst that we had encountered, and I still feel a bit sad about her unnecessary death. It really makes me angry to think of the conditions she was left in - the visual is still quite striking in my head. Oh well.

Anyway - thanks again.

Sincerely,
James
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Sad Story - 09/09/11 03:26 PM

Poor kitty.
Posted By: FretlessD

Re: Sad Story - 09/13/11 11:55 AM

James,
I'm sorry you had to go through that ordeal. In these economic times, I'm seeing more and more abandonment situations.

Empathy is a double edged sword. Without it however, where is our humanity.

Doug
Posted By: psmith

Re: Sad Story - 09/13/11 11:36 PM

Grrrrr...
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum