The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Some folks are just jerks.

Posted By: James Morrissey

Some folks are just jerks. - 10/03/11 06:24 PM

We were out by Gros Ventre this afternoon shooting moose. The local ranger asked everyone to step back a few feet and some putz had the audacity to first complain that the rule is 75 yards and not90 and then followed it up with whether or not it was a mistake to calculate distance in meters because those extra few inches put that much of a damper on things. Yikes. It was noon. The light was horrid. Lighten up and let the ranger do his job. LOL, the guy had 20,000 worth of lenses and gear...you would THINK the fellow would know better - right?? At least he could pretend....

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Some folks are just jerks. - 10/03/11 07:50 PM

James,
if you think the fact that he had $20,000 worth of gear would indicate that he wasn't a jerk, I'd venture that it probably proved the point. Just because you can afford good gear doesn't mean you know how to use it and just because you have it doesn't mean you have a brain. The issues are totally unrelated wink. Obviously.

Jim

Re: Some folks are just jerks. - 10/03/11 10:19 PM

Yes indeed! Ithink I was being a bit tongue and cheek, but I stand humbly corrected. smile

James

Ps in West Yellowstone now. Weather is cloudy and a off-and-on rainy. Not much shooting this afternoon, but still pleasant. "Filling the memory card between my ears.". There may besnow tomorrow, which would be cool.
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Some folks are just jerks. - 10/04/11 12:52 AM

You mean to say your wasting all the beautiful diffused light?!?

Walk away from the sunny days. Storms are your friend.

Roman

Re: Some folks are just jerks. - 10/04/11 04:18 AM

Lol, I love nature's softbox as much as anyone. I also like rainy weather. However, this was neither. frown. I did get a nice sunset though by JacksonLake that I may enter into the contest, assuming I can process and upload it!

James

Re: Some folks are just jerks. - 10/04/11 04:27 PM

I cannot believe you are in West Yellowstone and complaining!! wink

Jim

Re: Some folks are just jerks. - 10/05/11 04:18 AM

LOL, my fit is over. I was just appauled at the time. Having said that, life is good - no complaints. I saw a really interesting sunrise this morning and I hope that the shots came out. Beautiful reds and heavy clouds over the Tetons. It was pretty cool. I am going to get out the newsletter and crash for the evening. Sunrise comes soon. :P

James

Cool Day - 10/06/11 01:21 AM

Hey Everyone,

It rained all day today - pretty much from start to finish. However, it was definitely a good day. We sat for about 2 hours in the pouring rain with a very large bull who was refusing to get up. He finally got up and I THINK the shots came out great. I wish I had my laptop with me. It would be nice to upload some of the images.

James

Re: Cool Day - pt 2 - 10/06/11 09:01 PM

We have snow in Grand Teton! Got some bull moose shots this morning. Not sure how well they came out as the snow was throwing off the AF. I wound up using the live view (kicked up to 10x) to focus. Out looking for bear now.

James

Re: Cool Day - pt 2 - 10/07/11 10:13 AM

James,
remember when we didn't have autofocus?!! I run into that occasionally with black dogs -- which I tend to shoot a lot. Still . . . snow in early October. Does not compute smile. Can't wait to see the shots.

Jim
Posted By: bryansoderlind

Re: Cool Day - pt 2 - 10/07/11 03:46 PM

Hey Jim,

Absolutely! Before I went digital, the only cameras I ever owned were manual focus...but they typically had a split prism or other manual focus aid. I have always found manual focusing on AF SLRs to be vexing as they don't generallyhave this. Enter live view! It really is easyand fast.

I was going to head up to Yellowstone today, but it looks like we are locked in the Tetons (lol it could be worse). Snow has closed the South Entrance and the Teton Pass is chains only. If i buy chains, I am not moving back to New York. smile

James

Re: Cool Day - pt 2 - 10/07/11 03:56 PM

James, go ahead -- buy those chains and never go back smile. I agree about the ability to manually focus with current focusing screens. I loved split-image rangefinder with microprism surrounds -- not quite sure why they can't be incorporated into current DSLRs. Enjoy the snow!

Jim
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum