The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!?

Posted By: RomanJohnston

Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 11/30/11 01:05 PM

Ok, I know I said I would never do HDR. Well, I guess I had to be properly motivated. Ever since I have capture "Under The Canopy" I have been trying to capture an "Under No Canopy" shot. DR was my #1 problem with this. And HDR being so gritty, and fake looking was somthing I would never attempt.

Ok....here goes. I merged 5 shots together using the NIK tool in photoshop. Converted it from 32 bit to 16bit, and proceded with my normal processing.

My goal was to keep the light right and for the fact it is HDR to not stand out.

Roman
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 11/30/11 01:56 PM

Roman,
first of all, it works. And if you hadn't said it was HDR I doubt anybody would have guessed. It has DR, depth, balance and lots of detail but no grittiness.

My own opinion of HDR and Tone Mapping is that if it enhances an image -- and you do it with subtlety -- it's just another tool in the photo toolbox. Some images benefit from it. Some don't. And, like any other tool, you have to know how to use it to use it properly. Just like sharpening.

I never advertise my use of HDR or Tone Mapping. If folks ask if an image has been mapped, then I'll be happy to admit it but the minute you "confess" to the sin of HDR/Tone Mapping, folks tend to look for what's wrong with the image instead of looking at it to see what's right. JMHO. Lovely work as always.

Jim

Re: Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 11/30/11 02:14 PM

Thanks! Actually I am hoping to attract people trying to pick it apart. If I end up with responses more like yours, then I succeeded.

Roman
Posted By: gebert

Re: Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 11/30/11 04:59 PM

Roman, you used the Nik plug-in correctly to get what you wanted 9expanded DR only) and that's why the image doesn't look HDR'd (is that a word??) Hated HDR myself, thought it looked rather cartoonish, but as part of my Masters program I just had to take an HDR class and HDR is not what I thought it was at all. I never think twice now to use HDR if a high contrasty situation calls for it. Nice work!
Posted By: Bob D.

Re: Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 12/01/11 02:25 AM

Looks darn fine to me. Simply gorgeous.

Re: Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 12/01/11 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: gebert
Roman, you used the Nik plug-in correctly to get what you wanted 9expanded DR only) and that's why the image doesn't look HDR'd (is that a word??) Hated HDR myself, thought it looked rather cartoonish, but as part of my Masters program I just had to take an HDR class and HDR is not what I thought it was at all. I never think twice now to use HDR if a high contrasty situation calls for it. Nice work!

Thanks. Never attended any classes, just hoped the tools and processes had evolved to a usable status. I too like you did not like the exaggerated results from earlier HDR tools. This I can live with, to now time to dive into the pool.

Roman

Re: Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 12/01/11 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob D.
Looks darn fine to me. Simply gorgeous.

Thanks Bob!

Roman
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 12/02/11 01:07 AM

Roman, this is one magnificent tree. And that is what I saw first! When I get smacked in the face with technique over content then I am turned off of the image. It seems to have to work harder to communicate the story that image has to tell.

I have used these additive techniques and only on few occations have they made me happier with the image. And doesn't that seem to be the case with filters too? They are fun to play with but when they overpower the image they are not much help.

Great image! Beautiful light smile
Posted By: dave_lines

Re: Really, Roman is doing HDR now?!? - 12/26/11 05:56 PM

Love how this came out, I think that the reason that most think that HDR is gritty is because it is usually overdone. In some photos I think gritty works, but in most it just gives you a high dynamic range of lighting. Which I think it what it was meant for in the first place. Is this at the Japanese gardens in Portland,, It kind of looks familiar.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum