The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Charging For Mileage

Posted By: Nicole St-Onge

Charging For Mileage - 03/09/12 03:37 AM

Just checking, what is the going rate when charging for mileage? And if you are a location shooter how far do you travel before your mileage rate kicks in.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Charging For Mileage - 03/09/12 07:24 PM

I believe that the current rate for mileage is .51 per mile. It only counts for those visits that are specifically work related. Do yourself a favor and keep a log book of all of your miles and make sure you have it very clearly documented in the event that it is questioned by the IRS. I would show it to my accountant to make sure that it is all 'on board' for what counts as mileage.

James
Posted By: psmith

Re: Charging For Mileage - 03/09/12 07:30 PM

Local client shoots on location, I charge 50 cents a mile for every mile over 25 miles (one way, 50 miles round trip).
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Charging For Mileage - 03/10/12 04:47 PM

Ditto what Preston says unless I'm traveling to a show in which case it's already included in my show package. For example, yesterday, I drove from Orlando to West Palm Beach -- 350 miles round-trip -- to judge a Sweepstakes, take formals at the Specialty and then had a 1 hr. ad shoot with 2 dogs. Obviously, my mileage was included in my judging assignment.

Jim
Posted By: goldenstarphoto

Re: Charging For Mileage - 03/29/12 01:45 PM

I also charge .50 cents a mile after the first 25. My company, that I still have to work for until my photography pays the bills, pays me .35 cents after the first 40. (But they are cheap and many people quit). I believe the going rate for the state of California employees is .55 cents a mile.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum