The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Back!!

Posted By: James Morrissey

Back!! - 10/23/15 04:44 AM

Hey Folks,

I am back in Las Vegas after a VERY wet, but fun 5 days in Capitol Reef.

James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Back!! - 10/23/15 11:12 PM

James:

Welcome Back! Capitol Reef has become one of my favorite spots to visit. Looking forward to hearing about your trip and seeing some of your photos. ( I assume at some point and article will be forthcoming? (Hint, Hint))

Jim

Re: Back!! - 10/24/15 10:26 PM

Thanks, Jim. It was, unfortunately, very very wet. I will post a video of what one of the roads looked like that we were supposed to cross. It was insane.

We wound up focusing the workshop on getting intimate with things. We spent lots of time with the foliage and looking for breaks in the weather. Over-all, I think it was a successful week - but it was with a ton of effort and a pretty understanding group, and I really wish that we were able to get into the back roads. Unfortunately, the things you really want to see are all off of the main park roads. I was particularly disappointed because we did not get to the Temple of the Sun and Moon.

James

Re: Back!! - 10/25/15 09:35 PM

James:

It really is too bad the weather didn't cooperate for you, but at least the scenic drive is paved now. Just a couple of years ago even it wasn't.

I hope at least the clouds provided some dramatic shots from turnouts along the drive, or was it totally overcast? Did the wild turkeys decide to take a stroll through the campground wake you up in the morning? Also, this time of year the apples should start ripening, so I imagine the deer were plentiful. Here's a link to a short video I took earlier this year of a doe and two fawns.

[img]https://tucson-jim.smugmug.com/Trav.../P7020299-L.jpg

Hopefully you had the chance to take Hwy 12 from Bryce Canyon NP through the Grand Staircase on the way there from or back to Vegas. That has to be one of the most scenic drives in America.

Jim

Re: Back!! - 10/26/15 02:33 AM

It seriously stormed for five days. All of the back roads were flooded. We were driving 200-300 miles a day to find places to photograph. Lol, it was rough! As i mentioned earlier though, the workshop crew was really - really - good. They made the best of a tough situation.

We saw turkeys...but we did not stop to photograph them.

Your video is sweet...somehow I was expecting the turkeys to come out and gobble at them though. Strange, right?

James

Re: Back!! - 10/27/15 09:52 PM

That really is a shame. Maybe you'll get a chance to try again some time. But, not the best place in the heat of summer.

Jim
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum