The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog

Posted By: James Morrissey

Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/21/05 05:45 AM

I just wanted to take a moment and publicly thank Bernie for contributing his Alaska weblog. I had a blast reading it and hope that others do as well. If you have feedback or questions, don't be afraid to let'em rip.

-JM
Posted By: Paul Beiser

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/21/05 04:45 PM

Bernie, this is AWESOME. Thanks for the great work! I got a real "adventure" sense reading it, and love the photos. Also, really appreciate the detailed breakdown of equipment. One question, did anyone carry any form of camera rain gear like the Aquatech to shoot in the rain?

Again, THANKS!
-paul
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/21/05 06:49 PM

I throughly enjoyed this story. Definitly an amazing trip....one I need to take as well. Story made me feel the sense of adventure you all had. Thank you very much for the the oppertunity to share in this with you.

Roman
Posted By: BernieWeinzimmer

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/22/05 03:44 AM

Paul,
Actually, a couple of us had rain protection for our camera/lenses. If you look on my list of gear in the Intro section you will see I had the Kata E702 and the E704. The E702 protects the camera body and a amall lens and the E704 attaches to protect longer lenses (i.e. the 200-400 VR). It turned out we had absolutely fantastic weather, so like some other items I took along, they never got used. The weather during our stay was phenomenal, ranging from low 60's to mid 70's the entire time.
Posted By: Paul Beiser

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/22/05 12:24 PM

Thanks, Bernie, appreciate the info!
-paul
Posted By: Loopman

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/22/05 09:18 PM

This is a great article. I had so much fun reading it. I also found the equipment list to be useful.

Lou

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/23/05 02:44 AM

Loopman,
Glad you enjoyed it! I should point out that I took a lot of stuff I never used! The flash equipment was not necessary. I did use the 200-400 VR, the 70-200 VR, and the 17-35, but I didn't use the 85 1.4 much at all. Had too much clothing, but better safe than sorry. Only used the D100 a couple of times when the bear was too close for the 200-400 and I had the D100 pre set up with the 70-200. The Lowepro S&F system was great; much better for me than a simple photo vest, although I had one of those along also just in case.
Posted By: Misha

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/23/05 03:29 AM

Bernie,
Great job with the article. Awesome read!

Keep writing,
Misha

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/23/05 06:44 PM

Misha,
Thanks! I really enjoyed reading your's as well. Your pictures were outstanding.

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/24/05 04:14 AM

The experiment with the forum member travel logs, in my opinion, has been a huge success. I hope that others will step forward over time to produce new ones. I had a lot of fun reading these (for very different reasons as the two articles are so very different).

Next week we get back into gear with Artie Morris' interview.

-JM
Posted By: RichardR

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/24/05 09:55 AM

Bernie,

I really enjoyed your Alaska trip travelogue and superb images! Makes me want to get out my Mukluks and head Nawth to Alaska!

Your detailed information on your preparation leading up to this fabulous trip should be very helpful to anyone considering a similar expedition. When you are away from any sort of resources, careful planning is the key to a successful venture. It reminds me of the planning my buddies and I go through when going on a week-long bluewater sailing trip. No 7-11 markets or Roadside Assistance offshore!!

The equipment list and itinerary plan is important but what really makes such a trip happen is the friendships and associations you had already formed with that great group of photographer/friends. The photographs are superb but the truth is, I'll bet the best part was just enjoying the wildlife and glories of nature in the company of good companions.

I am intrigued by how close you were to the bears. If one of them had decided "photographer" tastes better than salmon, you really had no where to run or hide from a 30mph half-ton Grizzly! That fisherman was lucky that he was able to get out of the way of the bear that charged up the river after his catch!

A grand adventure and thank you for sharing it with us.

Best regards,

Dick:)

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/26/05 05:38 AM

Dick,
You are absolutely correct on all counts. I do really enjoy the comraderie of the six guys I went to Alaska with and we are stay in touch via email and our participation on the DPReview Nikon D100/D1/D2 Forum. From time to time we get together and go somewhere to shoot. Joe is planning some upcoming adventures for us.
Regarding the near proximity to the bears you make a very good point. Our guide, John Hohl did not carry any weapon or spray of any kind. Had one of the bears decided to do us in, he could have done so without much resistance from us. As long as the other guys were around I probably was pretty safe as I figured I was near the top of the group as far as instant speed was concerned, but when it was just John and I the 20+ year difference in age probably meant I would have been the meal and John would have lived to tell the story.
Posted By: RichardR

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/26/05 12:12 PM

"It's not necessary to outrun the bear; just run faster than the other guy"! LOL!

Interesting that John doesn't carry any kind of emergency 'bear repellant'. I'm just as much an advocate of preserving our wildlife as anyone but there is great potential for death and serious injury from those magnificent creatures that a tripod or fast legs just wouldn't handle.

I've made some great friends through the DPReview forums and have visited with and gone on photo excursions with several. Some folks are leery of making friends on the internet but I haven't met an axe-murderer yet!

Best regards,

Dick:)

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/26/05 12:19 PM

"Interesting that John doesn't carry any kind of emergency 'bear repellant'. I'm just as much an advocate of preserving our wildlife as anyone but there is great potential for death and serious injury from those magnificent creatures that a tripod or fast legs just wouldn't handle."

Amen. Having said that, I am not sure how much bear repellant will do except make an already upset bear really angry.

"I've made some great friends through the DPReview forums and have visited with and gone on photo excursions with several. Some folks are leery of making friends on the internet but I haven't met an axe-murderer yet! "

Nor have I. We actually tried to meet up with one of our forum members when I was out west last. Someday I really want to get to Glacier and meet Final Shot. I also want to meet Ron Reznick (who lives about 15 minutes from my brother Patrick, apparantly).

However, I do have some anxieties about meeting people over the net...and I am of the internet generation. I just think that a lot of people seem very different than how they come off on-line. I know I have discomfort for my friends who are meeting people on-line.

-JM

Re: Bernie Weinzimmer, Alaska Weblog - 09/26/05 12:21 PM

BTW, Bernie, as I mentioned in the DPReview forums...I am glad that you did not get eaten...for personal and professional reasons. I am not sure you would have been able to write this great story had you wound up in the pit of the belly of the bear.

-JM
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum