The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Well...its D2X time.....

Posted By: RomanJohnston

Well...its D2X time..... - 09/22/05 03:38 AM

This weekend gonna pull the trigger on purchasing a D2X. Been waiting for the D200...but you know...I want the weather tightness of the better cam....and if it's not 12MP...I would go with the D2X anway....so gonna start calling around and see if a local shop has one...if not....I'll call B&H.

All my D2H accessorys work with it, and just bought an Epson P2000 with the 40 gb drive...as it was only 50 bucks more than a 4 GB flash card...and I have a lot of 1gb flash cards.

Tell me (if you have one) it's worth every cent.....I hate parting with money....but I hate not having the tools to make my mark in this world...even more.

Sigh....weird bitter sweet feeling.

Roman
Posted By: Loopman

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 09/22/05 09:11 PM

Hi Roman,

Congratulations on your new purchase. The D2x looks like a really nice piece of equipment. Is this a business purchase?

Lou
Posted By: Paul Beiser

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 09/23/05 01:35 AM

It's worth every cent and more, I have been VERY VERY Happy with it. Havent picked up my D70 since I had my d2X, *including* long hikes where the weight is a big difference. The quality, the features.. all phenomenal. And be sure to get Thom Hogan's D2X manual.

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 09/23/05 06:08 AM

Lou.....actually it is. Been selling landscape prints....and lately....people have been coming to me asking if I can shoot their wedding (have one in October) So I am writing this off.

Paul...my D70 died this morning...Green light of death...while on a shoot in the Gorge trying to capture an historic steam train making a rare journey.....promptly went back to town...and got the D2X. Will submit the D70 to Nikon for repair...and let the wife shoot with it.

Thanks...

Roman
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 09/24/05 04:12 AM

Hey Roman,

Congratulations on the upcoming purchase. I always have that feeling when I spend a lot of money on cameras...that kind of excited nausea. If this is for business, it is a necessary expense. The D2x is in many ways on a different planet from the D2hs. I also think that it is a bargain at 5 grand. For us Canon folks, an equivalent camera does not really exist. The 1d Mark II costs less but has significantly lower res. The 1ds II is much slower (though it has other benefits).

I have been running on 20ds and have been very happy with them. I am seriously considering the 5d but I am worried about Reichmann's review. He basically called it a dust magnet (something the 20d is not). I have gotten very spoiled with the d30 class cameras in that area.

On another note, I would love to engage you more in the business forum on your landscape sales. Are you selling through local vendors or stock of some sort?

-JM

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 09/26/05 02:40 PM

Word of mouth actually. Just passing out cards....and I show my work off in my cube at work...which starts a lot of conversations. People are asking me to do weddings as well now (which is a totally diffrent animal and am still learning on that quite a bit which is why I dont charge much yet) but I just have business cards printed, and everyone I know just kinda let people know. My wife also works for an exec in a local hospital...and she shows my work as well in her cube...and I have gotten a lot of sales from that.

Havent even began to work shows...or local markets...etc. Probably next year.

Lisa's mom is a VP at a bank...and her cube is full of my stuff too....and she sends stuff my way as well.

Cubicle marketing .....hee hee hee. (I guess I shouldnt laugh...it works!)

Roman
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 09/27/05 04:36 AM

Hey Roman,

When you finally get ready to really get into weddings and such, you should check out the Digital Wedding Forum. The site is owned by a very dear friend of mine. It is THE place to discuss anything and everything on Wedding Photography - digital and analog.

It sounds like your wife has given you a natural link to help advertise your business. I am sure that finding a discreet but effective way of helping to catalyze your future plans will be key. I am still looking to find those 'secondary markets' for showing off my work. I am hoping that the NANPA conference this year will help shed some additional light in that area (at least for my nature/wildlife photography, which is still just a hobby).

-JM
Posted By: Sheebs

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 09/30/05 07:54 AM

We LOVE our d2x! Ever since we bought it, the d2h and d1x have been growing dust in the corner. We shoot mostly raw and the files are HUGE of course, but it's so worth the quality we are seeing. Sharp sharp SHARP! Congrats on your new toy!

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 10/01/05 02:36 AM

Good luck with getting the D70 repaired in a timely fashion. How do you like the D2X??

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 10/01/05 05:11 AM

The D2X rocks. I have the return slip ready for the D70 and it goes in the mail tomorrow morning. Gotta send in my SB-800 too ....silly me...put it in the top of my LoweProRover AWII (top part is undevided) and even though it was in its protective pouch...I somehow jammed somthig into the display....and my flash display is cracked.....(feeling rather stupid) I just ordered a larger LOwePro backpack/roller bag that will carry all my gear without anything making contact.

Re: Well...its D2X time..... - 10/01/05 10:39 PM

Sorry to hear about the SB-800, but glad you like the D2X. To get the most out of it, I highly recommend Thom Hogan's D2X guide - I liked it so much I took the e-book to Kinkos and had them make me a hard copy!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum