The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Photoshop Challenge

Posted By: James Morrissey

Photoshop Challenge - 02/17/07 01:52 PM

Hey Everyone,

I would like to propose a new challenge - a shot using Roman's blending technique to produce an HDR image.

Any takers?
James
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/17/07 07:21 PM

I dont have cs. . . .

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/17/07 07:48 PM

Hey Tony,

Do you have elements? There is a way of tweeking the images in Elements also....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=22070548

Cheers
James
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/18/07 12:20 AM

Well at least I'm not the only one behind on the times. I'm still running photoshop 6.0!

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/18/07 04:02 AM

LOL - yeah, I think many of us are a bit behind the times. I never purchased CS2...I only upgraded to CS because of the shadow/highlights tool. You should be very able to do Roman's technique with PS 6.

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/18/07 03:47 PM

I just opened an old Photoshop 7 and it has all the tools needed. Anyone want have a file they wish to commit to the process? If we all work on one file, we can see how well the technique works for each of us....and the diffrences.

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/18/07 03:58 PM

GREAT idea.

James
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/18/07 04:56 PM

good idea . . . we could eemail it, or can we put it up here?
Posted By: spartacusii

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/19/07 12:13 AM

i have a file that i would be happy to share & see the results from everyone. it isn't anything spectacular, but i think it should make for a good challenge. i would prefer that the full-sized file was used so it has the best chance possible. it is a RAW file that i shot a week ago last saturday, & is just under 7 mb. email me requesting the file & i will be happy to get it off to you - spartacusii@kc.rr.com

jp

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/19/07 04:43 AM

Hey JP,

Thanks for being game to share a file. E-mail is sent.

Cheers
James

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/19/07 04:54 AM

JP....unfortunatly this file really isnt much of a DR problem. I think I am going to dig for a D2H file that poses a challenge.....which will keep the file size down.....and strech the limits a bit.

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/19/07 05:03 AM

Ok....anyone who wants to play, just write me. I have a nice 4MB raw file of a local waterfall from a D2H that should be quite fun to play with.

Roman

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/20/07 03:51 AM

OK Folks,

I see that this is now being picked up at DPReview - which is great. May I ask when we want to have the image up and ready for?

James
Posted By: Joe Piotrowski

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/20/07 11:06 PM

Roman
I'm not sure how to send a private E mail on this but you can send the file to joepiotrowski@cox.net
Thanks

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/21/07 01:35 AM

Ok...here is my results from the file......

Roman

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/21/07 03:08 AM

Here's my version. I had it in 16 bit but had to dumb it down to JPG. Smugmug waterfall fix

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/21/07 03:49 AM

Here's a version with some mist added to the base of the falls. Waterfall with mist at base.

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/21/07 05:07 AM

Hey Joe,

Nice job. Here is my version (two of them). I am still not 100% satisfied with the color version. It seems to lack richness in the midtones. The Highlights are perfect...hugging the top of the histogram, but not quite touching.

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/22/07 03:29 AM

here is my attempt. i am not pleased with the top of the waterfall - i think i must have pushed the exposure too far on the top end? the rest looks pretty good to me, tho.

jp

Attached picture 6776-REJ_2262_Reduced.jpg

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/22/07 01:48 PM

Hey JP,

Yeah - I think that your image is having a little difficulty still at the highlights - though I like the rest of the exposure very much. The colors are richer than mine.

James

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/23/07 01:29 AM

thanx, james. if it wasn't for the blown out area, i would have been quite pleased with this one. i have to find a way to get a better result in the highlites, tho.

this was fun - it helps to have a good image to work with, tho. hey roman - got any more laying around your cutting room floor?

jp

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/24/07 04:01 AM

OK Folks,

Before we jump to our new challenge, I was hoping that we could disect our current one a bit. I was looking at the different results and I feel that mine are not as rich or saturated as some of the others here. The highlights were kept just fine, but the rest of the image lagged.

What do you think I could do in the post processing that would enhance this?

James

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/24/07 04:56 PM

Quote:

OK Folks,

Before we jump to our new challenge, I was hoping that we could disect our current one a bit. I was looking at the different results and I feel that mine are not as rich or saturated as some of the others here. The highlights were kept just fine, but the rest of the image lagged.

What do you think I could do in the post processing that would enhance this?

James

Ok....here is yours:

I downloaded it, Did a little CMYK and Lab curves adjustment and color balance layers....and this is what I came up with.

Ya gotta learn to use all 10 color channels (well actually 8 color channels and 2 B&W channels...lol)

The edits become smaller (and less intrusive) and have a finer point.

Roman
Posted By: glamson

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/25/07 04:05 AM

And here is my version. In addition to the running the HDR technique I also played with saturation and sharpening. This image is down rezzed for the web, but it held up pretty well.

My twist to this Photoshop Challenge is that I did not do it in Photoshop. While I am proficient in CS2 and use it on occasion, I have always preferred the interface and workflow of PaintShop Pro. I was able to adapt Roman's technique to PaintShop Pro X and this is the result.

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/25/07 05:08 AM

Hey George,

A bunch of folks at DPReview were asking about how one would do this in Paintshop Pro. Would you mind sharing how you did this on a step-by-step basis?

As to the saturation of the image, I feel that perhaps the colors seem a bit overly hyped up.

James

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/25/07 05:23 AM

Thoughts?

James
Posted By: JeffDinPA

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/25/07 06:05 AM

Here is Mine.

Posted By: glamson

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/25/07 07:39 AM

Quote:

Hey George,

A bunch of folks at DPReview were asking about how one would do this in Paintshop Pro. Would you mind sharing how you did this on a step-by-step basis?

I'll put together a little tutorial when I get some time.

Quote:

As to the saturation of the image, I feel that perhaps the colors seem a bit overly hyped up.

I agree. I was going for something different than the great work already done by you and others. I thought I'd go a little cooler, more contrast and sharper just as a different approach. I guess Roman is the one that really knows what the scene really looked like.

James

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/25/07 10:45 PM

Hey Jeff,

Glad to see you around. I like your version of the shot very much - rich and saturated.

James
Posted By: deathbycanon

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 02/27/07 05:09 AM

You guys just made my day. LOL I saw this post and had to go look up what you were talking about.

I have been doing this for my portrait work for a long time now - but I have been hand masking out the 2nd layer. That little trick with the color range tool just saved me a lot of time. Time = money!

Thanks Roman!

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 03/01/07 12:24 PM

Hey Jeff..very nice work.

Deathbycanon - Your very welcome.....I hated doinig hand painted layer masks as well.

Great work everyone!!!!

Roman
Posted By: Dee Dee

Re: Photoshop Challenge - 03/02/07 03:57 AM

These are GREAT you guys. Really nice effects. Roman I would love to try this, the images you sent me though had a funny extension and I couldn't open them...would you possibly be able to send it to me as a JPG or TIF? Thanks for all your time and expertise, I am anxious to try this!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum