The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner

Posted By: glamson

TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner - 03/19/07 10:04 PM

Well since there seems to be a theme going here on animals eating, I thought I'd add a creature
with a little more grisly table manners. Can't say that Turkey Vultures are as exciting
as Osprey, but the world would be a much messier place without them. These animals are
exquisitely adapted to their niche as a carrion eaters much as the Osprey is to its fishing role.

Posted By: Joe Piotrowski

Re: TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner - 03/19/07 10:41 PM

Nice pictures. Those nostrils are impressive. That looks like dead oppossum(?sp) to me.
Reminds me of the joke about the two vultures who brought a dead deer onto an airplane.
Stewardess:You can't bring that on board!
Vulture: Why not? It's carry on.

Re: TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner - 03/19/07 11:13 PM

Quote:

Nice pictures. Those nostrils are impressive. That looks like dead oppossum(?sp) to me.
Reminds me of the joke about the two vultures who brought a dead deer onto an airplane.
Stewardess:You can't bring that on board!
Vulture: Why not? It's carry on.

Oppossum it is.

Love the joke. I will definitely file that one for future use.
Posted By: RichardR

Re: TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner - 03/20/07 02:16 AM

Outstanding 'adventures in dining' series, Glamson. Excellent exposure and focus.

Vultures aren't the prettiest birds in the flock but they do fill an important role as scavengers. They are quite graceful gliding through the air, too.

Fine work!

Dick:)

Re: TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner - 03/20/07 02:59 AM

Quote:

Outstanding 'adventures in dining' series, Glamson. Excellent exposure and focus.

Vultures aren't the prettiest birds in the flock but they do fill an important role as scavengers. They are quite graceful gliding through the air, too.

Fine work!

Dick:)

Thanks Dick. I agree about them being graceful in flight and their social life also is
very interesting. I used to observe a group that hung out in some rocks near my home in
the Bay area and they were quite interesting.

George
Posted By: PicTaker

Re: TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner - 03/20/07 04:18 PM

Nice...I'm surprised the bird didn't fly away when you took the pictures.

Re: TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner - 03/20/07 09:49 PM

Quote:

Nice...I'm surprised the bird didn't fly away when you took the pictures.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes he/she did get somewhat spooked a couple of times but
the oppossum was just too tasty to stay away. I actually tried to stay upwind because
the carrion was definitely pretty ripe. Luckly the lighting was right from my position.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: TV dinner - not to be viewed at dinner - 03/22/07 01:04 AM

Hey George,

Great shots of the birds...in a very macabre way. Well done, keep'em coming.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum