The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

That time of the year for the Greats

Posted By: glamson

That time of the year for the Greats - 04/17/07 04:43 PM

This is one of the most exciting times of the year at Batiquitos Lagoon. It is mating time for the
Great Egrets. There is a small rookery in some tall Eucalyptus trees and this year there are about
10 active nests. Unfortunately for the photographer, it is a real challenge to photograph the rookery
through the trees and it is really impossible to get totally clear shots.
As most of you know the Egrets, both male and female display in mating plummage which is characterized
by long white feathers. They also have a green mask around the eyes.

It is the long white feathers of the mating plummage that was almost the undoing of these great birds.
As is the case with many animals, the feathers became "fashionable" in the early 1900s and
the animals were hunted to dangerously low numbers simply for a dozen feathers per bird. Thankfully
fashion moved on before the birds were completely eradicated from the US and now they are thriving.

The Great Egrets do a mating "dance" whose choreography includes stretching their bodies to full
length and arching the head back and then rapidly going into a crouch with the feathers displayed. I
caught one dancing in a nest trying to attract a mate. Like most dances, it's not entirely captured by
still photography.

Apparently the dance was successful in attracting a mate as I found out when I returned the next day.

Posted By: Joe Piotrowski

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/18/07 03:56 AM

Great pictures. Love that green mask.
Posted By: kmorris

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/18/07 07:30 PM

Glamson,

It looks like you had to do some tree climbing to get those shots. Awesome pictures of some awesome birds!! Thanks for sharing them.

Morris In MT

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/19/07 03:01 AM

Morris,

Thanks for the feedback.

No climbing necessary. Luckily there is a small hill close to the rookery and my Sigma 100-300 lens + 1.4 TC was enough to bring them in.
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/19/07 04:12 AM

Very nice work....first hs an very nice composition.

Roman
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/20/07 04:41 AM

Hi George,

I agree. First shot rocks - I like the narrative that you put together as well. Considering the obstacles, you really did a nice job.

James

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/20/07 07:15 PM

Roman and James thank you very much for the positive feedback.

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/21/07 01:48 AM

This fellow was not nearly as close but more cooperative this AM at a large city park.

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/21/07 03:41 PM

Hey Joe,

The shots certainly have less 'clutter' in them, and they are nice. I think that the first shot you posted has an intimacy though that is not captured as nicely in these. LOL, it is a niggle, not a major gripe as they really are nice shots as well.

James

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/23/07 02:31 AM

James,
I agree, and they in no way compare to the quality of the shots by Glamson. I was too far away and he moved too fast to really get any "keepers".I was more amused by the long wispy feathers blowing around and his choice of perch.

Re: That time of the year for the Greats - 04/27/07 07:03 PM

Quote:

James,
I agree, and they in no way compare to the quality of the shots by Glamson. I was too far away and he moved too fast to really get any "keepers".I was more amused by the long wispy feathers blowing around and his choice of perch.

Joe,

I envy you the "openess" of the shot. The problem is these guys don't put their nests out in the open
anywhere around here. I do remember when I was up at Audubon Canyon Ranch in Bolinas, CA that
you could get great views of the nests in the pine trees that the herons and egrest were using for
thier rookery. As that great philospher Rosanne Rosanadana said, "It's always something."

Update -That time of the year for the Greats - 05/24/07 06:55 AM

Quote:

This is one of the most exciting times of the year at Batiquitos Lagoon. It is mating time for the
Great Egrets. There is a small rookery in some tall Eucalyptus trees and this year there are about
10 active nests. Unfortunately for the photographer, it is a real challenge to photograph the rookery
through the trees and it is really impossible to get totally clear shots.

Just thought I'd update this post with some pics of the Great Egret chicks in the nests I started this post off
with. One nest had 3 chicks and the other had 4. It's been a pretty productive year for the Egret rookery this year.

© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum