The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

How about a FALL shot?

Posted By: Tony Bynum

How about a FALL shot? - 09/27/07 12:08 PM

As many of you know, we had a very large fire here on the boarder of Glacier Park. It's out now, but here's a shot of one are about two miles from my house. . . What do you think of this image?

Attached picture 10708-fallburnemail.jpg
Posted By: Joe

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 09/27/07 04:00 PM

Tony,

I like it! I like the way the light and dark areas break up the image and draws you through the image from front to back. On my monitor it's difficult (ok impossible) to identify the dark areas as being burned out by the fire but I don't think that detracts from the overall impact of the photograph.

It looks like you made this image either early in the morning or late in the afternoon in order to catch the sunlight just on the tops of the trees in the background. Yes/No?

Nice one.

Joe

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 09/27/07 08:02 PM

thanks for looking and commenting.

those trees in the top of the photo, the one's that look lit, are NOT lit, they just did not burn up, rather, the heat killed the streak of trees without burning them. . .

I see the burned out trees on my monitor. . . I use a lacie. But, I'll see if I can bring out the burned out trees . .

I did shoot it just before the sun went down, just a shaft of light was lighting the foreground trees. . .

Thanks again,

Tony
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 09/27/07 09:23 PM

Hey Tony,

It is nice to finally have an Internet connection again. Very nice photo. We have also been doing folliage here in Jackson. When I get back into the City, I will begin posting some as well.

Great work.

James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 09/29/07 06:12 PM

Tony:

I like this shot as well. The burned trees show up fine on my monitor, although if I just glance at those areas quickly, they look like star trails. I think the black framing really makes a difference. This is a shot that I don't think most people would have seen. Good job!

Jim
Posted By: Chris_A

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 10/01/07 03:39 PM

Looks fine from here re shadows, and I love the comp...gerat capture!
Posted By: glamson

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 10/02/07 02:59 AM

Very nice Tony. The repetitive lit tree lines interspersed with the darker areas really works. The Aspens on the bottom really anchor the composition.

I'm up at my cabin at Donner Pass this week getting it ready for the winter. We are just starting to see the Aspens turn here as well. Here is one I shot today. Not nearly as good as yours, but it does show that we do have Autumn in Californa too. Please excuse the processing. I had to do this on my laptop with an uncalibrated monitor.

I'm traveling down Highway 395 on the east side of the Sierras this weekend and should have some better foliage images next week.

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 10/02/07 02:36 PM

Great, i just love forest shots. I shoot them all year long and I think i'm going to make it my next book project. I've done three books already, and they are fun. I think I'd like to have just a "forest" book. . .

I have my shot in a landscape to, but chose the portrait to post. Ive been back to shoot that spot a couple times but cant catch the light. . . the leaves are about 50% gone now in Glacier park, we have had a lot of high winds, some snow and lots of rain, it's culminated in a typical fall - leaves start to change = wind blows them off before they get "ripe."
Posted By: Paul_Frye

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 10/03/07 12:08 AM

Tony, I like your shot a lot...just as it is.

I ran into James last week in Yellowstone. They had a pretty good head-start on the fall. Here is a shot from Lamar Valley and then another from Highway 89 South as we were on our way home back to San Diego, where there is hardly a fall at all.

Regards,

Paul

Posted By: Buddy Thomason

Re: How about a FALL shot? - 10/03/07 09:12 PM

Nice shots all! Tony, the upper two levels of trees are quite blue on my monitor - not unattractive, just, well, blue...

I miss the beautiful reds back east. Fall colors are mostly yellow out here. Certain areas in the Colorado mountains are plagued with Pine Beetle kill to an extent that images are negatively impacted - it's just plain ugly - part of nature, but ugly none the less. This shot was made up near the Wyoming border near Cowdry, CO.

Unfortunately, my shooting that day was curtailed when I rode that gentleman's (that's him on the L with my 13 yo son) ATV into the creek. Fortunately no harm done except to my pride.

© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum