The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Prophetic Bighorn Pics

Posted By: BL3

Prophetic Bighorn Pics - 11/06/07 03:00 PM

Last March my wife and I were suprised to see numerous Desert Bighorn sheep on our hike through Palm Canyon in the Anza-Borrego State Park. According to the Park Rangers, these normally reclusive animals had to overcome their natural wariness in order to gain access to the stream alongside the trail, as a result of the driest winter on record. It's prophetic in light of the recent firestorms here in San Diego County. All shots taken with an Oly E-1, 150/F2 & 1.4 Teleconverter, using a monopod.

More pics at: http://bl3.smugmug.com/gallery/2559031#134634697

Rocky
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Prophetic Bighorn Pics - 11/07/07 05:30 AM

Hey Rocky,

Thanks for sharing. Very nice photos. THe smugmug gallery is great too - particularly that 2nd shot. You can definitely see what he is thinking, LOL

James
Posted By: BL3

Re: Prophetic Bighorn Pics - 11/08/07 08:39 AM

Thanks James. I forgot to mention Photo #5 in the Smugmug gallery, you can see claw mark in the flank of the ewe. The park wildlife biologist told us that she had been injured in a mountain lion attack on her kid. Just checked the forecast, only 30 more years of drought.

Rocky
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Prophetic Bighorn Pics - 11/09/07 05:08 AM

I have never seen a mountain lion. I am fairly sure that my wife and I heard one, one morning in Yellowstone. It was definitely a bit daunting - we could not see him, but he had to be relatively close. We were thinking it could also have been a bobcat.

"Just checked the forecast, only 30 more years of drought."

LOL. Let's hope that they are as wrong as usual.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum