The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007

Posted By: James Morrissey

Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/22/07 05:22 PM

Hey Everyone,

It is near the end of the year, and it is always a good time to reflect. This started as a response to the Favorite National Parks thread that I started a few days ago. A lot of folks may not have had the opportunity to hit the parks, and I thought it would be nice to try something more inclusive.

This was taken just outside of Grand Teton National Park (or just inside...not sure which, really). It was included with the Leica M8 field review that we did.

Cheers
James
Posted By: glamson

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/22/07 07:01 PM

Quote:

Hey Everyone,

It is near the end of the year, and it is always a good time to reflect. This started as a response to the Favorite National Parks thread that I started a few days ago. A lot of folks may not have had the opportunity to hit the parks, and I thought it would be nice to try something more inclusive.

This was taken just outside of Grand Teton National Park (or just inside...not sure which, really). It was included with the Leica M8 field review that we did.

Cheers
James

James,

It's so nice to be included. I'm kind of partial to this one taken this autumn.

Posted By: daveman

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/23/07 01:25 AM

George - I love that shot.

I was looking for a National Park photo and realized I spent all of about 2 hours in Arches this year and I did not have anything from that trip that I wanted to post.

I don't have a favorite from this year but would like to post this shot from Hawaii. I kind of like this view.

Posted By: gll

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/24/07 01:59 AM

Took this a few days ago and I really like it, never seen one before so it was a treat.
A Short Eared Owl

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/24/07 04:47 PM

Hey Guys,

Great, great shots. Thanks for sharing.

James
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/26/07 01:59 AM

Small bird photography is taxing, here's one of my favorites from this year.
A busy little Louisiana water thrush bringing home a mouthful of groceries
Posted By: Joe Piotrowski

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/26/07 10:02 PM

I agree Durwood. Much harder than large birds. Here's my favourite from last spring. This male Bluegray Gnatcatcher was gathering some "tail".

Although this is likely a male due to the black eyeline(both sexes look very much alike and this is a guess) both sexes help to build the nest,incubate the eggs, and feed the young. The nest is small and cup shaped. It is made of plant fibers(in this case cattails) held together with spider webs. Although they will recycle an old nest(ie tear it down to use the old materials) they build a new one each spring.They lay 4 eggs. Average annual adult survival 50%.
Posted By: glamson

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/26/07 10:51 PM

Quote:

Small bird photography is taxing, here's one of my favorites from this year.
A busy little Louisiana water thrush bringing home a mouthful of groceries

I know I'm cheating here, but here is my favorite small bird shot from May of this year. They don't get smaller than this guy, who was just showing off.

Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/27/07 03:41 AM

That's a great shot! So much character that I'll forgive you for cheating!
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/27/07 01:40 PM

For Wildlife I guess I'd have to say this one. Even though I prefer a bull shot and have gotten several this year. The lighting on this shot really sets it apart for me. I Even have bulls fighting but I couldn't get positioned right in relation to the sun to get the type shot I wanted for them.

This was shot with a Canon 30D and a 400/5.6 handheld at f/5.6 and 1/1250th, ISO 400
Posted By: Rocky

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/28/07 04:11 AM

i always hate it when someone asks for my favorite photo of the year... i took over 10,000 photos this year, and there are dozens, if not more, that could qualify as favorites for one reason or another. still, if i have to choose one image that really made my socks roll up and down, it would have to be this shot of a male Belted Kingfisher that i got last May. i'd been trying to get a decent, close shot of one of these little guys for over a year, and finally managed it... needless to say, i was excited! taken with a Canon 30D and Sigma EX 80-400 lens at 400mm, 1/400 @ f/6.3, from about 20 feet away...

Posted By: pmbpro

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/31/07 07:06 AM

Hi everyone,

I think this one, taken in May, can be considered my favourite, which is why it became my Avatar. :-) She's Alexandra, an "educator" bird from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation. Definitely not "in the wild", and despite her intense look, she's a softie towards people (more used to us), and scared of other owls. I was sitting on the ground cross-legged with her up on a handler's arm outside her holding pen when I took this shot. She just looked down and kept staring.

I also like it because I didn't have to manipulate the image except for a tiny crop, for a change (and especially since I had a hard time "freezing" her blowing horn feathers). I hope I can take better photographs next year. :/

Info:
Olympus E-500 (40-150mm kit lens back then)
1/500
Aperture Priority
f/5.6
ISO 100
Focal length: 150mm
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/31/07 01:58 PM

Rocky,
Great shot of the Kingfisher. I've been chasing one around my area for about a year and a half with no luck. One the the most skittish birds I've tried to shoot. My hat is off to you!

Jim
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/31/07 02:28 PM

This has to be one of my favorite wildlife shots of 07!

Attached picture 12365-cows-and-elk-fight-email.jpg
Posted By: Jack

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 12/31/07 06:12 PM

No beautiful mountains but a misty fall morning in south central Wiscoinsin at the Portage between the Fox and Wisconsin rivers.

Attached picture 12370-FallMorning.jpg
Posted By: Lowthian

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 01/01/08 02:34 PM

I took this image after an ice storm that we had in January, 2007.
Posted By: Gary

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 01/01/08 02:59 PM

Speaking if Ice Storms here's an early summer ice storm image STANLEY IDAHO. Wish I had the sharpness better but I think I was shivering....and didn't take time for tripod, I was afraid if I ran back for a tripod the morning sun would steal the image from my grasp.

GARY

Attached picture 12382-IceStormDaisies.jpg
Posted By: BudOhio

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 01/02/08 03:26 PM

First post to this forum and I've really enjoyed all of the great shots and stories so far. A few years ago, we dug up most of our back yard and replaced the grass with a variety of hummingbird and butterfly-attracting plants. So far, the garden has been a big success and we average 10-15 Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds on a daily basis in the summer as well as a number of butterflies that we'd never seen previously. Here's one of my favorite Ruby-Throated shots from 2007 of an adult male perched.

I look forward to participating more often in this forum in the new year and sharing a pic when I can (Hopefully after visiting a National Park or two... )

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 01/02/08 11:58 PM

Hey Dick,

That shot of the berry covered by ice is pretty remarkable. Thanks for sharing.

Bud,

Nice shot of the hummingbird. Welcome aboard.

James
Posted By: BudOhio

Re: Favorite Nature/Wildlife Photo 2007 - 01/04/08 04:10 PM

Thanks, James!

I look forward to participating in this forum and will find it extremely useful as we figure where to travel out west sometime over the next 2 years.

Bud
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum