The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Red-tailed hawk at close range ...

Posted By: KennyP

Red-tailed hawk at close range ... - 01/05/08 02:34 AM

Sometimes the birdies get a little too close ... this one swooped on by, intent on some food item near me. It neatly filled the frame and then some. (400mm lens on 1.6x crop camera.)
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Red-tailed hawk at close range ... - 01/05/08 01:31 PM

that's cool, with all the red tails I see, i never notice that their underbelly was sooo white. Nice job and you got him looking semi toward you.

It looks like your focus caught the body/tail/feet, is the head starting to get a little out of focus? I assume you did not shoot this at f/8, or did you?

Thanks for posting! Love to see the rest of them.

Re: Red-tailed hawk at close range ... - 01/05/08 02:10 PM

It was shot at f/5.6, which is wide open for the lens that I used. Note that you can confuse Canon's (or Nikon's) AI Servo with a subject that changes directions, as this one did as it swooped by ... it still did very well.
Posted By: glamson

Re: Red-tailed hawk at close range ... - 01/06/08 11:02 PM

Quote:

It was shot at f/5.6, which is wide open for the lens that I used. Note that you can confuse Canon's (or Nikon's) AI Servo with a subject that changes directions, as this one did as it swooped by ... it still did very well.

Kenny,

Did you desaturate this image or was the lighting just really flat?

Also, checking your EXIF data, it says the aperture was f/8 not 5.6. That's more in line with the words you live by isn't it?

George
Posted By: Joe Piotrowski

Re: Red-tailed hawk at close range ... - 01/07/08 12:26 AM

The red-tailed hawk always impresses me with how different it looks in different parts of the country. In Va it is much darker and the tail is much redder.I believe what you caught is a "Krider's" sub-species.Unless you desaturated the red tail color in PP.
Nice shot.

Re: Red-tailed hawk at close range ... - 01/07/08 05:34 AM

Hmmm ... I thought I had it at f/5.6 (I shoot BIF's with manual exposure.)
In any case, it was overcast, so the lighting was flat ... and the bird was a bit washed-out anyway!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum