The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Common Merganser

Posted By: Jim Rickards

Common Merganser - 02/01/08 09:19 PM

This was shot from a blind, supported by a monopod. I'm interested in comments on the intensity of the green of the head of this bird. The decision to enhance that green in Photoshop or leave it looking as it was in nature is what I would like feedback on, plus anything else you have.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Common Merganser - 02/01/08 10:17 PM

Hey Jim,

The colors as you have them look very natural. It might be interesting to try to bring the eye as well as the duck's colors a bit in PS.

James
Posted By: glamson

Re: Common Merganser - 02/02/08 01:17 AM

Quote:

This was shot from a blind, supported by a monopod. I'm interested in comments on the intensity of the green of the head of this bird. The decision to enhance that green in Photoshop or leave it looking as it was in nature is what I would like feedback on, plus anything else you have.

Jim,

Mergansers are great birds. I've seen them up at my cabin at Donner Pass in CA.

Since you're asking for input I have to say that this image has some problems. The lighting is really flat and on my calibrated monitor, it looks dark and I don't see the green color in the head. Also cutting off the tail really makes for a unbalanced composition. I would definitely want to bring out the green color and the eye, even at the sake of it not being quite "natural". Hope you don't mind, but here is what I would have done with this image.

Re: Common Merganser - 02/02/08 02:29 AM

I appreciate both the opinions, and how quickly they were given. I've re-processed it much the same as shown in your re-post. I've cropped it wider too. No more of the tail is visible, since it goes underwater, but since it gives the impression of being cut off, it has to be changed. BTW, some nice Egrets in your gallery, George.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Common Merganser - 02/02/08 03:23 PM

Hey George,

I am not seeing your version of the photograph - but it is obvious that Jim is...

-James
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Common Merganser - 02/02/08 05:30 PM

Quote:

I would definitely want to bring out the green color and the eye, even at the sake of it not being quite "natural".jpg

For me a decision to enhance a photograph is based on the answer to the question I ask myself, "Do I want this to look like what the camera recorded or what the scene or animal actually looks like?"

The decision is simple and guilt free

Re: Common Merganser - 02/03/08 02:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would definitely want to bring out the green color and the eye, even at the sake of it not being quite "natural".jpg

For me a decision to enhance a photograph is based on the answer to the question I ask myself, "Do I want this to look like what the camera recorded or what the scene or animal actually looks like?"

The decision is simple and guilt free

Some would choose a third option: "Let's make this duck look as good and attractive as possible." That's the one I was guarding against. But back to your point. The duck has a very black looking head, but in bright sun (as shot) I saw splashes of the green showing fairly well. So one could go either way without guilt. I don't want to make the green more saturated than it was.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum