The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

A couple Coyote shots, one with prey

Posted By: jamesdak

A couple Coyote shots, one with prey - 02/23/08 10:52 PM

Once again, grey, dark and overcast so of course the coyotes were out! Never can catch then on a bright morning. Anyway, shooting mainly at ISO 800 and dialing in some exposure comp I did manage to get some decent shots.

I watched him steal this kill from a Harrier, doesn't look like he wants to share:

Checking his back trail:

Posted By: Gluteal Cleft

Re: A couple Coyote shots, one with prey - 02/23/08 11:49 PM

Yeah, he's pretty riled up in that first pic, he looks exagerrated to the point of almost being comical. Good shots!
Posted By: Marion

Re: A couple Coyote shots, one with prey - 02/24/08 09:05 AM

I think the poor guy is a lil hungry ... lol.
nice shots..

Marion

One more from the day - 02/25/08 03:50 PM

I like this one.

Posted By: Holmes

Re: One more from the day - 02/26/08 03:05 AM

This is a great shot!

Your work is most impressive. I enjoyed the ermine captures, too.
Posted By: gll

Re: One more from the day - 02/26/08 03:39 AM

very nice Jim, Really like the last one.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: One more from the day - 02/29/08 05:04 AM

Hey Jim,

These are great. I particularly like the last of the series. Curiously, what had his interest?

James

Re: One more from the day - 02/29/08 01:51 PM

James,

In the last image the Coyote was watching it's mate who was out on the ice. The mate was much more concerned by my presence and did not want to come in close.

One other note, the first two images were of a lone coyote while the last image is one of a pair. The pair seemed to have wintered better than the loan coyote as their coats where much better and they seemed to be a good bit "fatter".
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: One more from the day - 03/01/08 06:32 PM

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the information. I believe that coyotes pair for life. It stands to reason that paired coyotes will generally fair better than single ones, particularly if the single ones also have the responsibility of caring for pups.

James

New images from yesterday - 03/02/08 06:41 PM

I didn't have much time but was able to shoot the pair again for about 45 minutes or so. Beautiful clears skys when I left the house but a storm had moved in by the time I got to the area.

I missed a couple of pouncing shots but finally had the female in close and faced right at me as she pounced, squeezed the shutter and nothing! Dang full CF card
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum