The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Sidewinder

Posted By: salden

Sidewinder - 06/01/08 11:02 AM

Sorry, I have been absent from the site for a while. My travel schedule (work) has really become hectic. This image was taken out in the Majove Desert a couple of weeks ago. I leave in a week for Kansas where I get to spend three weeks. Hopefully things will slow down soon.

This is a sidewinder. I had to 4-wheel it out to one of the sites and this guy crossed my path, or I crossed his. I am too old for this

Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Sidewinder - 06/01/08 12:44 PM

Great to have you back. This image is quite disturbing as I sit in my safe room with my cup of coffee. Glad I am inside! Hope this was a long...... lens.

Re: Sidewinder - 06/01/08 01:21 PM

I had my 100-400L with me, but I was about 3 feet from it when I saw it move.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Sidewinder - 06/02/08 12:28 PM

Hey Sue,

LOL, you have strong insides. I think I would have decided to go much farther away. :P

James

Re: Sidewinder - 06/03/08 02:03 AM

The sidewinder can be fatal to you; however, the sidewinder would prefer to run from you than go after you. In most cases, you are safe as long as you do not corner them. Now, the Mojave Green will come after you, they are very aggressive. I did not see the Green when I was out there.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Sidewinder - 06/04/08 04:06 AM

Hey Sue,

The one real paranoia I have when I am in Death Valley are snakes. Fortunately, I have never seen one while out there (I have seen many tracks and prints on the dunes). While I understand they are eager for smaller prey, LOL, I don't want to be the one to step on one accidentally.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum