The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Barnacle Bear

Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Barnacle Bear - 06/15/08 08:56 PM

Some bears in this area were digging in the sand for clams, and I assumed this beautiful bear was turning over rocks to get at the mussels; however, our guide who had worked this inlet for thirty years said she was eating barnacles. I never saw any mussel shells on the rocks and just watched her licking the bottoms of upturned stones.
Of course, being omnivores they will eat anything, including pushy photogs!
Posted By: TangoWay

Re: Barnacle Bear - 06/15/08 09:39 PM

Durwood,

This is a great shot! The lighting and pose are terrific.
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Barnacle Bear - 06/16/08 05:26 PM

Durwood:

You were really blessed with some great photo opportunities on that trip. I just love how expressive these big guys' faces are. They are fascinating creatures.

How many folks did you have to share the Zodiak with? Was it difficult shooting from the boat? Were you able to stabilize the camera somehow, or was everything hand held?

I've really enjoyed the shots you've posted so far.

Jim
Posted By: ConnieM

Re: Barnacle Bear - 06/17/08 03:04 AM

Wow.....beautiful shot

Connie

Re: Barnacle Bear - 06/17/08 02:01 PM

Thanks, Jim

There were 7 photographers on the boat. Sometimes we were able to use the inflated sides of the Zodiac to steady our shots, but most were simply handheld.

This particular photo was made from the shore.

I am working on an article about this great trip for James, and I hope it will be posted here. It should answer a lot of questions, such as: "How can I go there and do that?"
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Barnacle Bear - 06/19/08 03:30 PM

Hey Durwood,

I have opened this shot several times. It really is quite spectacular. A great portrait. You were really lucky to have the trip you did. The one critique that I have is I am wondering what it would look like if you applied a small, gentle amount of shadow/highlights to the bear's eyes?

James
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Barnacle Bear - 06/19/08 11:02 PM

Beautiful. I have wanted to photograph bears for a long time and this just makes me want to go even more.

I agree with lightening the eyes a little, but I'd use curves and a quick mask rather than shadow/highlight.

Re: Barnacle Bear - 06/20/08 02:04 PM

Here's a rework - new framing and touch up on eyes, using mask to adjust exposure to eyes.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Barnacle Bear - 06/24/08 01:35 PM

Hey Durwood,

MUCH better. The work you did really brings out the detail in the face.

James
Posted By: Amir Ayalon

Re: Barnacle Bear - 07/08/08 08:52 AM

Very Nice Picture,
Nice Color and background.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum