The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Red Deer

Posted By: barry t s

Red Deer - 08/30/08 07:25 PM

A few members of a Red Deer herd in an English Deer & Country Park.

Attached picture 17370-DSC_0223.jpg

Re: Red Deer - 08/30/08 07:30 PM

Humn, will have to find out how you post photo's on here as it doesnt seem straightforward.....
Posted By: PossumCorner

Re: Red Deer - 08/30/08 09:19 PM

Quote:

Humn, will have to find out how you post photo's on here as it doesnt seem straightforward.....

Hi barry ts - love your deer, were you on foot or driving?

There is an easy way to embed shots in a post if you open a Photo bucket account. It is free at www.photobucket.com - which will prompt you through the steps to join. You can then put into Photobucket any image you wish to embed. Photobucket gives you size options for medium or to suit web etc.

To embed to the Forum: there are three items in the box under your image in Photobucket. Click on the lowest one beginning [IMG]. This will copy it, no need to click on "copy". Then go to your post in the Forum: click "paste". Done. There are other ways, Photobucket is a handy one to use.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Red Deer - 08/31/08 05:28 PM

Hey Barry,

Welcome aboard. Folks definitely find the software a bit difficult at the beginning. UBB is not intuitive. I hope that in our next iteration that we will be running something a bit more friendly - however, once you get the hang of it, it is easy enough.

Welcome aboard!
Jaems

Re: Red Deer - 08/31/08 07:51 PM

Hi Possum/James. 2 members on opposite sides of the World!
Thanks for your help. I do have a photobucket account, dont use it much so i will have to familiarize myself with it again. At first i couldnt understand how you viewed the Deer, until i noticed "attachment" feature.
The Deer are in a public park in Nottingham & the Deer are used to people & 'fairly' tolerant of us. I was on foot carrying a tripod & DSLR with 400mm lens.

Re: Red Deer - 08/31/08 08:08 PM

Another Red Deer from the same herd...............i call him "sleepy head"!

Re: Red Deer - 08/31/08 08:09 PM

Well there you go.......cheers again Possum & James
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Red Deer - 08/31/08 09:29 PM

Welcome! Where are you located? I lived in Bury St. Edmunds and Great Barton. Are you anywhere near Suffolk County?
Ain't it great we can talk so quickly around the world?
These dear look huge? Are they?

Re: Red Deer - 08/31/08 10:04 PM

Hi PeggySue,

Nottinghamshire. About 100miles from Bury St. Edmunds & Suffolk Border.
The internet is indeed a wonderful invention.
Thanks for the welcome, all of you.
Red Deer are our largest native Deer. Similar size to a Reindeer/Caribou.......maybe a bit lighter build.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Red Deer - 09/03/08 12:18 PM

Hey Barry,

Glad you were able to figure it out! That's a big boy! The one negative critique I will make is that the photo appears a tad bit green on my monitor. I am sure that this is very correctable (if necessary...LOL, I may be wrong). Is their a sizable herd of red deer in England?

James

Re: Red Deer - 09/03/08 07:33 PM

Hi James,

Not your monitor, its the photo. It was shot with camera white balance set to cloudy, i am reading a book by Chis Weston. He recommends setting to cloudy to add warmth to wildlife shots. I'm not so sure, from the results I'm getting.
There are Red Deer in the forests & many Parks in England. As England only has about 3% tree cover (lowest in Europe-all caused by man) you dont get to see alot of wild Deer. Scotland is another matter. Wild & less spoilt. Red & Fallow deer are native but we have a lot of Muntjack & Sika deer also which have come in from abroad.

The images are converted RAW files so i should be able to alter colour balance, will give it a go.
Cheers,
Barry

Re: Red Deer - 09/05/08 05:45 PM

Here is a RAW shot with adjusted White Balance to neutral

Re: Red Deer - 09/05/08 10:45 PM

He's turned Pink?????
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum