The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Photography from a Kayak

Posted By: mrsadie

Photography from a Kayak - 10/07/08 02:21 AM

Hi all It's been a while since my last post. Here are a few shots from my newest meathod of wildlife photography. I found using a Kayak (instead of wallowing though the mud with my chest waders luging my gear and a portable hide) much easier AND I can get closer!! The photos were shot with a Tamaron 28-200mm lens (@ about 135mm because this lens sucks at 200mm) I was actually after landscapes but encountered lots of wildlife all in one day!! This was my second attempt shooting from a Kayak and I learned alot (first I need a rudder so I can steer while shooting, and second I need to bring a longer lens and a water resisint system (I'm thinking about using a US military ammo can) because the system I'm using works,but is'nt long enough to use a 300mm or better lens. I now use a cooler and towel to keep the camera dry while paddling (I also use a half skirt to keep the cooler under) Hope you enjoy!! These were shot a Wayawanda State park,New Jersey

Attached picture 18006-blheron800.jpg
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Photography from a Kayak - 10/07/08 12:45 PM

Thanks for sharing the photo and the equipment description.
What kayak are you using?
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Photography from a Kayak - 10/07/08 10:55 PM

Right on...very nice capture.

Roman
Posted By: mrsadie

Re: Photography from a Kayak - 10/07/08 11:40 PM

Thanks, I have more shots from that day,here is another. The bears didnt even know I was there!! The Kayak I use for Photography is a 12ft Current Designs Kestrel 120HV (The HV model is wider than the standard model) It has a Recreation type cockpit so it makes it easier to shoot. I have a 16ft sea kayak (Current Designs Gulf Stream) But its a bit long to get into the places I like to shoot. I also just installed a rudder system on my Kestrel to help steer me while I shoot.

Attached picture 18018-blackbear1.jpg
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Photography from a Kayak - 10/08/08 12:07 PM

thanks for posting, great work, keep at it and keep us posted on your progress. . .

Tony
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum