The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . .

Posted By: Tony Bynum

COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/13/08 03:38 PM

I told you guys I'd post the gloves/mittens I use, here's the solution to cold hands for nature and wildlife photographers. In the past I talked about using these but could not find a retailer (I got two pairs a couple years ago and gave one away). Anyhow, I pulled all the strings I could and still did not find a retailer for these gloves - I even had the outfitter department at Cabela's HQ do a search and they said they cant find them anyplace.

Well, as it turns out they've been disscontinued and the company that makes them is out of business, and no one's replaced them yet. However, I found a source that has them on closeout!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may not like camo, but you can bet if you buy these and insert the hand warmer, you will covet these mitts for the rest of your shooting days. The key to them is the heater pocket, and the built in glove liner that protects your fingers when the mitt is folded back - no other mitten i've found does this. . . there are many others that fold back, but none has the built in liner. . .

So, here's the link, get them while you can, this may be the only chance you get . . .

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=84485

Tony
Posted By: glamson

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/13/08 10:23 PM

Quote:

I told you guys I'd post the gloves/mittens I use, here's the solution to cold hands for nature and wildlife photographers. In the past I talked about using these but could not find a retailer (I got two pairs a couple years ago and gave one away). Anyhow, I pulled all the strings I could and still did not find a retailer for these gloves - I even had the outfitter department at Cabela's HQ do a search and they said they cant find them anyplace.

Well, as it turns out they've been disscontinued and the company that makes them is out of business, and no one's replaced them yet. However, I found a source that has them on closeout!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may not like camo, but you can bet if you buy these and insert the hand warmer, you will covet these mitts for the rest of your shooting days. The key to them is the heater pocket, and the built in glove liner that protects your fingers when the mitt is folded back - no other mitten i've found does this. . . there are many others that fold back, but none has the built in liner. . .

So, here's the link, get them while you can, this may be the only chance you get . . .

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=84485

Tony

Thanks Tony. For $17.95 I figure I can't go wrong. Ordered a pair today.

Geo
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/14/08 08:54 PM

Thanks Tony

I just hope to be cold enough to use them!
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/16/08 03:17 AM

Thanks a bunch Tony, I just ordered a pair also. I was out ATV'ing the other day with temps right below freezing. Thinsulate glove liners under a heavy glove kept my hands warm but this setup is much to bulky to shot with. It's also a pain to put on and remove the outer glove. Your mittens appear to be a good solution and for the price, who can go wrong!

Jim

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/16/08 01:45 PM

I agree, the price is hard to beat, even if you dont end up liking them, it's not a lot of investment. However, i'm sure that if you do use them properly, by putting the hand warmer pack in them you will never leave home for a cold day of shooting without them! I dont! The warming packs are about $1 for two, and they last from 8-10 hrs.

I got 6 pairs, two for back up, and 4 to have for friends later down the road!

Think about buying a back up if you like them, and a couple for your shooting buddies if you find that they work for you. For $20 bucks you'll make a lifelong shooting friend with these mitts. . .

Tony

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/20/08 08:36 PM

You guys try them out yet? It's cold enough up here to be using them!

Tony

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/21/08 02:35 PM

I got mine delivered yesterday. But where as two weekends ago it was in the 30s and snowing we are now back in the 70s.
Posted By: glamson

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/21/08 03:34 PM

Quote:

You guys try them out yet? It's cold enough up here to be using them!

Tony

Mine were delivered last week. Only trouble is they were delivered to my home in Carlsbad, but I'm up at my cabin at Donner Pass (no mail delivery up here). Actually I could really use them right now up here. It's down around 25 at night and in the mornings it doesn't get above freezing until after nine. I went out shooting early morning doings on the lake the other day and my hands got pretty cold.

Geo

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/21/08 04:34 PM

LOL - oh man that sucks. . .

Make sure you get the heater packs too, if you dont already have them. I've seen where you can buy them even at corner stores, they are a little more money but make sure you get a few. . .

Tony
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/21/08 05:34 PM

It got down to 39 the other night, but I had not received the gloves ;^).

It'll be February before it MIGHT be cold enough here for these gloves.
Posted By: Randy T

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/22/08 01:45 AM

Thanks for the tip Tony! I ordered 2 pair tonight. Also ordered some heater packs. Wisconsin winters can get a bit "chilly"

I know they'll come in handy.

Randy T

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . . - 10/23/08 01:01 PM

I just found this in our local "hunters heaven" on closeout also. They are selling them for $18 but did not have any in my size. The store carrying them locally is called Smiths and Edwards and is a local legend. Lots of good gear and excess/old military stuff they procure from all over. They claim to have everything you could want, "if they can find it". You've got to see the place to understand the last statement, LOL!!
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . - 10/23/08 04:36 PM

Thanks for the tip. Since I frost bit my hands years ago on a horse ride, I am having to use these things earlier than I ever did. These look really great. Hope they run small!

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . - 10/28/08 01:10 PM

Ok, 30 degrees Sunday morning and used them while ATV'ing without the warmers. Hands were warm the whole trip even when travelling on the road at about 35-40 mph.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . - 10/29/08 09:20 PM

Great. I just picked up a pair at $14.36. Not bad is all I can say. Thanks, Tony. :P

James
Posted By: Marty Everhard

I'm In ! I'm In !!!!! - 10/31/08 12:39 AM

I am a buyer at $14.36- OMG I can't wait- I am in !

oops I thought i was on the stock forum for a minute- almost bought a thousand of em............

but I did get em ! got a goofy bomber hat for 8 bucks too!

Re: I'm In ! I'm In !!!!! - 10/31/08 04:40 AM

Great! I'm glad I could help out on this. Like I said, if you can get past the camo, and you use the hand warmers, they are a great product. Your fingers will get cold while youre shooting, but being able to put them in and out of the warm hand pocket and not have the skin exposed to the wind or extreme cold makes a lot of difference. Gloves just are to clumsy. . .

Make sure you guys report back this winter!

Tony
Posted By: Desertrat

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . - 11/01/08 03:59 AM

On days that are not too cold but when the wind bites the backs of your hands I use a pair of winter golfing gloves.
Good feel is maintained and the backs of your hands stay warm
Posted By: linda

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . - 12/04/08 04:24 PM

Thanks, Tony. The gloves are perfect. Where can I get a heater for the pocket?
Posted By: dlc

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . - 12/04/08 08:29 PM

I personally couldnt get past the camo so what I did instead is buy a pair of waterproof gloves that have the option to expose the fingers, which I slip over a thinner pair of cheap gloves. So far it works great. When it gets a little colder then I will add the hand warmers.

Re: COLD Hands While Shooting? -- solution . . . - 12/04/08 10:05 PM

You can buy the warmers at most outdoor stores, some super markets carry them, but I know sierra trading post, which sells the gloves also sells them. I just picked up a new case at costco. I go through about two-three cases per year. . .

Tony
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum