The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT!

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 04:11 AM

Okay you big print guys, whatcha think of this BIG print? I'm sure it's not of the quality of romans big prints, but what the heck you dont need the best quality when you speeding by at 70mph along I-90.

Now this is a big print! I think it's about 40 feet wide. I photographed the image which appears on this billboard with nikon d3 and a 200-400 f4 vr, last fall. This "print" just went up along I-90 in Missoula, Montana.

Attached picture 20516-RMEFBillboard09.jpg
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 04:24 AM

You shot the Elk or the photo?
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 04:25 AM

Wow...I think ya got me beat!!!

Nice job there Tony!!!

I see your name there on the bottom left corner....

Roman

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 05:02 AM

LOL - Dave, leave it to you to find the grammar flub! ;-)

I updated the post to eliminate any confusion. Thanks.

Roman, I think I do, but I will confess, while a billboard is a cool and BIG, your images are outstanding!

Tony
Posted By: BIRDPOND

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 05:41 AM

Must be a rush to see your own work on a billboard! Way to go!

:- )

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 06:34 PM

It is very cool, to see a print that big of one of my images, it's too bad i've not been able to see it in person, missoula is about a four or more hour drive from here and I seldom go there. . . I'm going to have to figure it into a trip very soon. . .

Thanks,

Tony
Posted By: glamson

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 06:39 PM

Quote:

Okay you big print guys, whatcha think of this BIG print? I'm sure it's not of the quality of romans big prints, but what the heck you dont need the best quality when you speeding by at 70mph along I-90.

Now this is a big print! I think it's about 40 feet wide. I photographed the image which appears on this billboard with nikon d3 and a 200-400 f4 vr, last fall. This "print" just went up along I-90 in Missoula, Montana.

Tony,

Congrats on this one. That takes the prize for largest print I've seen from a D3 (although I guess there might be alot of billboards out there that originated on a D3). Actually your credit is probably larger than anything I've printed.

You're the first person I know that got one of your images on a billboard. I'd be interested in knowing what the process is for getting it that big, if you know?

Geo
Posted By: psmith

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 09:41 PM

Quote:

I'd be interested in knowing what the process is for getting it that big, if you know?
Geo

I had two or three 14'x 48' boards up in Indy last year, LaMar did the upsampling from a 10MP image. I never got to see them, or even get a snapshot from anyone who did...just comments back that they looked great. I don't think they would look quite so good if you climbed the ladder and looked it over with a magnifying glass.

I'm guessing they use Genuine Fractals to do the upsizing, it is among the best.

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/10/09 11:36 PM

I dont know how they upsized the images, next time i talk them i'll find out what they used.

Psmith, what were your billboard images? You say Indy, is that the Indianapolis 500 car race youre talking about?

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/11/09 12:19 AM

Quote:

I dont know how they upsized the images, next time i talk them i'll find out what they used.

Psmith, what were your billboard images? You say Indy, is that the Indianapolis 500 car race youre talking about?

Actually I just checked my records and it was Toledo, OH not Indianapolis...sorry about that. It was a one month run on two Lamar interstate billboards advertising the TICA On Safari Cat show last year. My image took up about half the board, so its not nearly as impressive as your Elk shot which is occupying the full board. The image, btw, was a Bengal.

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/11/09 12:30 AM

Thanks Psmith, your cat shots are very well done!

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/11/09 02:54 AM

As are your elk, and all those other dangerous looking creatures in your gallery. Awesome imaages.

Re: Big Print, NO I mean REALLY BIG PRINT! - 02/11/09 02:55 PM

Thanks Mr. Smith. . .
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum