The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Snake ID ???

Posted By: psmith

Snake ID ??? - 03/07/09 03:17 PM

Does anyone know what kind of snake this is? I was out for a walk and nearly stepped on him. Eastern Kansas, early March.

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Snake ID ??? - 03/07/09 03:18 PM

Preston,
looks like an Anaconda !

Jim
Posted By: BIRDPOND

Re: Snake ID ??? - 03/07/09 03:46 PM

Preston,
It's a beautiful Garter Snake (often mis-called a Garden Snake), named for the stripes running down the body that look like . .. yes, garters!

Not sure which sub-species. Have to check my field guide (Eastern Garters are plentiful, though). It's been centuries since I've ID'd snake species and sometimes it comes down to scale counts and other minutia. But he's a beauty.

I love this species of snake, and used to collect them when I was a child, in NY, NJ, NH, VT and GA. Harmless and beneficial, they eat icky garden pests.

REALLY glad to see them out and about in your area. It's a good sign for the ecosystem. Encourage them, provide right habitat, they are nothing but a blessing for the environment and your garden.

Nice capture!
Posted By: psmith

Re: Snake ID ??? - 03/07/09 04:25 PM

Thanks Cathy. When I looked up garter snakes before I posted this I only saw the black and yellow ones. I don't know snakes at all, as I am generally to busy running full speed the other way when I come across one. Anyway, this one was hanging out at a local park near where kids are playing nearby so I was hoping it was a harmless one.
Posted By: myloismylife

Re: Snake ID ??? - 03/18/09 01:50 PM

Nice catch there!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum