The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Help with animal ID

Posted By: jamesdak

Help with animal ID - 03/24/09 12:28 AM

Ok, I shot this little critter at a local bird refuge. Looks a bit like my Marmots but smaller and with a more pronouced raised area on the bridge of the nose area. Oh and it was in a den in the ground about 10 yards off the water's edge. No rocks anywhere around which is where I normally find Marmots. I'm still thinking it's a marmot but I'm just not sure, anyone??

By comparision a definite Marmot:

This is an older Marmot shot but the best to illustrate my point. No bulge on top and a more pointed nose in my opinion.

It was a very good weekend end for me in terms of the small mammals. On top of both of the above animals I also got some really good shots of a female Ermine.
Posted By: Wacky roger

Re: Help with animal ID - 03/24/09 12:41 AM

My GUESS is a younger Marmot.
Posted By: BIRDPOND

Re: Help with animal ID - 03/24/09 12:47 AM

Is the coloring of your local marmots variable? Because the one you're asking about has very differet coloration than the 'actual' ones you've posted and the proportions/overall head shape and ear placement, from what I can make of the photos, are also different.

Could it be an immature/juvenile animal?

Very interested in knowing if it's a different species, subspecies or race.

(Really nice photos, btw!)

Re: Help with animal ID - 03/24/09 01:24 AM

It's size though is about what I see with the Marmot youngsters around June, not march. I also don't normally see the Yellow-Bellied Marmots sit back on their haunches like this animal. They are normally belly to the ground unless peaking over a rock or cleaning themselves.

Here's a juvenile Marmot of about the same body size.

Re: Help with animal ID - 03/24/09 01:28 AM

Hey, look at the noses also. The marmots appear to have hair around the top part while this animal's nose is hairless.

Re: Help with animal ID - 03/24/09 02:01 AM

Where is the park? This looks kinda close -- but not really a match. It's a photo of a common woodchuck like we have in the east? -- here's a link to the page and photo

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/victor_loewen/marmota.jpg/view.html

The other marmot species don't quite match either, unless there's a lot of racial variation.

Is there a mammalian taxonomist in the house??

Re: Help with animal ID - 03/24/09 02:39 AM

This was taken in Northern Utah. No woodchucks out here although this native Virginia country boy is quite familier with groundhogs. This animal was about 1/3 the size of a normal fat groundhog. I emailed the refuge with some pics and hopefully one the staff can help. I think they even have a few biologist working there.
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Help with animal ID - 03/24/09 09:14 PM

Prairie Dog ??? (Black-tailed}

Jim

Here's a link to a photo taken at a zoo exhibit that looks similar.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2915126090030272744ThzRzl
Posted By: myloismylife

Re: Help with animal ID - 04/05/09 06:10 AM

Marmot or no marmot...these are some really candid and cute pictures there.

NICE!

Re: Help with animal ID - 04/12/09 04:01 AM

Did we ever find out what your mystery mammal is??

Re: Help with animal ID - 04/16/09 12:32 AM

Sorry for the late response Cathy, still working through problems with the computer crash. Best I can determine is that it is a Marmot. I've been back a few more times and have seen it each time.

But to be honest this just does not fit. It's a small burrow with no dirt mound at all which is not typical. Plus it's in a flat open waterland area not hilly country like you normally find marmots in. I only see one hole and it's about 6" across which is small for a marmot. Still haven't got a good look at it's tail though and that may help some.

Re: Help with animal ID - 04/16/09 12:57 AM

Thanks Jim, I am very interested in whatever your find out.

Who knows, maybe it's just a unique individual (the bump on the nose almost looks like. . .well, a bump on the nose due to an injury?) or perhaps it's an undescribed species (now THAT would be cool -- we could name it Marmota jamesdaki!)

Re: Help with animal ID - 04/17/09 01:53 AM

Yeah the bump on the nose throws me. It also makes me think of a horse we had when I was growing up. She had a large csyst in one notstril that gave it a bulge not unlike what I see in the animal.
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Help with animal ID - 04/17/09 02:23 AM

The bump on the nose tells me that it is some kind of ground squirrel. It almost looks like a Columbian Ground Squirrel.

Re: Help with animal ID - 04/18/09 02:36 AM

To big and rounded to be a Columbian Ground Squirrel. I shoot plenty of these guys when I get north to Tony's neck of the woods.

I emailed some shots to a Natural History Museum and am just waiting to hear back from them.

Re: Help with animal ID - 04/29/09 10:26 PM

Ok, the "mystery" is solved. It is indeed a Marmot. They seem to have invaded the area this year for some reason. I've now found at least 4 different dens and animals. Even the original one I questioned has changed a bit. The bulge on the head is gone and the bare nose now has fur on it like normally expected. Maybe what threw me off were injuries from a scrape or just normal "wear and tear" from it digging a burrow. I've confirmed this with the local natural history museum.

On a happy side note. I've not seen the foxes yet but I've found an active den with a whole lot of bird pieces around it. Hopefully I can get some pictures of them before the refuge personnel trap the foxes.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum