The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Striped Horses

Posted By: psmith

Striped Horses - 04/18/09 02:54 PM

THE MYSTERIOUS STRIPED HORSES OF TOBACCO ROAD

I've just returned from an extended trip to North Carolina where I had the occasion to drive through God's Country and take a few photos just for the fun of it.

Since this is a NC story, I'll revert to my Southern-speak to tell the tale.

So....

Thirsty for some Carolina scenery I went driving out in the country. I was out in the middle of nowhere, the only sign of life were the delapidated tobacco barns that were falling in on themselves. As I drove past one field I saw something really strange out of the corner of my eye. A striped horse.

Well, I quickly put 2 and 2 together and figured out that this was obviously some Duke or Carolina fraternity prank. Can you imagine the farmer's reaction when he comes out to check on his horses?

The field was mostly eaten up, so I pulled up some grass from outside the fence and he came over for a bite.

These fraternity guys must be art majors, because this was one heck of a paint job.

Although he was obviously embarrased about all the stripes, that didn't stop him from striking up his Clydesdale pose when he saw the camera in my hands.

The other horses were obviously giving 'em a hard time. He tried every which way to try to get those dang stripes off.

Try as he may, they just wouldn't come off

Those fellows must have used Sharpies to paint these things on.

Nothing worked

You couldn't even chew them off

I was standing there taking pictures, and I was really starting to feel sorry for him. That's when Missy showed up.

The same guy must've done the paint job on her too because the whole design and style was almost exactly the same.

Well, at least he had company.

I'm just glad I had my camera with me, or people might think I was going crazy....seeing striped horses and all.

Shot with a Canon 5D Mark II, 70-200MM f4 L, and a 580EX II to try to combat the harsh sunlight.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Striped Horses - 04/18/09 04:36 PM

What a whale of a tale! Nicely presented.
Posted By: Wacky roger

Re: Striped Horses - 04/18/09 06:18 PM

Your right it is a striped horse = Photos don't lie. Fun set.
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Striped Horses - 04/18/09 09:06 PM

Great Series~!~
I would love to see that last shot cropped really tightly with just the heads!

Good Job!
Posted By: I_See_Spots

Re: Striped Horses - 04/19/09 03:31 AM

What a great series! I especially love the story that goes along with!

Re: Striped Horses - 04/19/09 05:13 PM

Quote:

Great Series~!~
I would love to see that last shot cropped really tightly with just the heads!

Good Job!

Here is a tighter crop.

Re: Striped Horses - 07/30/10 06:41 AM

I've heard the striped horses have disappeared from the farm.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Striped Horses - 08/02/10 04:57 AM

Are you SURE they are striped? I KNOW they are horses....

James
Posted By: NinaS

Re: Striped Horses - 08/02/10 09:00 PM

and here, I thought you'd mastered your photoshop skills and painted all those stripes on white horses

Re: Striped Horses - 08/02/10 10:40 PM

LOL, Nina. If I had mastered my Photoshop skills the grass wouldn't be the color of that Chicago hot dog neon green relish.
Posted By: ldixon

Re: Striped Horses - 08/05/10 01:42 AM

Wow! Incredible pictures....And yes, Preston, this was the very place I visited back in the winter. Climbed right in the fence with the zebras. It is truly a small world isn't it?

Re: Striped Horses - 08/05/10 02:53 AM

Lois, do you know what happened to the Zebras?
Posted By: Attila Kegyes

Re: Striped Horses - 08/25/10 04:19 AM

These are NOT horses! These are real zebras!

Horses have pointed ears and not as hairy inside. Zebras have round ones and really hairy inside. Zebra's tail is not as bushy, horse's tail got long hair. Horse's mane is long and hang on side, zebra's mane shorter and stand up.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Striped Horses - 08/25/10 01:38 PM

Preston,
so last week, on a drive from our house to Alachua, Florida (just outside of Gainesville) I was watching the horses in the large meadows alongside I-75 (the area from Ocala to Gainesville is true horse country) and I saw -- honest to goodness -- a herd of Zebras! I didn't have a camera and my travel partners had to look twice before they acknowledged the fact that they were, truly, Zebras. So, maybe we have a solution to where the NC Zebras went.

Also, just North of Orlando, there is a wildlife sanctuary/talent agency called Featuring Animals that has on it's property herds of exotic animals including Zebras and other exotic hoofed animals. Years ago, Linda and I brought some of our large advertising clients up there for a tour and got to play with a Lion cub. It was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. That and a large female Tiger named Sunny decided she loved me and followed me around the enclosure chuffing and rubbing against the fencing. Then I noticed she was getting into a rather strange position and, luckily, I was able to move quickly enough to avoid being marked by my girlfriend! Unfortunately, the young lady behind me was not so lucky and not so quick .

Jim
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Striped Horses - 08/26/10 08:15 PM

Point out the obvious often?

Quote:

Horses have pointed ears and not as hairy inside. Zebras have round ones and really hairy inside. Zebra's tail is not as bushy, horse's tail got long hair. Horse's mane is long and hang on side, zebra's mane shorter and stand up.

Posted By: glamson

Re: Striped Horses - 08/26/10 09:22 PM

Quote:

Attila,

Preston was just having some fun since you don't really expect to see Zebras in the hinterlands of NC. Best not to take things too literally on this forum!
Posted By: Attila Kegyes

Re: Striped Horses - 08/27/10 06:53 AM

Quote:

Point out the obvious often?

Looks like it is not as obvious at all, because almost everybody call them horses in their comment.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Striped Horses - 08/27/10 08:19 PM

Attila, everyone is going along with the silliness. No one really thinks they are horses
Posted By: NinaS

Re: Striped Horses - 08/29/10 12:51 AM

Attila, not always does everyone go along with the silliness around here.

just learn to take everything with a grain of salt
remember opinons are like *()&%(*# & everyone has one
and, ignore those who rub you the wrong way, or contradict themselves from thread to thread

this can be a fun forum, it just takes time to find your spot within it
Posted By: brent howard

Re: Striped Horses - 09/06/10 07:45 AM

pretty horses1 they looks like zebra for me ^^, and I reallyl like the colors and stripes
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum