The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

White Deer of Wisconsin

Posted By: Tony Bynum

White Deer of Wisconsin - 05/02/09 04:10 AM

this is a cool story. . . anyone ever seen these critters?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=inwi10s22a3q81f
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: White Deer of Wisconsin - 05/02/09 07:52 AM

WOW! That's really neat. They are really beautiful creatures. Wouldn't mind getting a real life gander at them.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Jim
Posted By: Wacky roger

Re: White Deer of Wisconsin - 05/02/09 02:38 PM

WOW!! I have never seen one but I would like to see one. I have heard there is a herd of them in upper New York.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: White Deer of Wisconsin - 05/03/09 04:39 PM

Hey Tony,

Thanks for sharing this...it was a really cool video that both Chanthee and I enjoyed. I can only imagine how beautiful the photographs that could be taken are. We were actually debating a trip after watching the video....but now I see that Roger says there may be some here in Upper New York..

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: White Deer of Wisconsin - 05/05/09 01:37 PM

Actually there are a few in the UP of Michigan. My dad had run across some while hunting.....he couldnt bring himself to pull the trigger on them..

Roman
Posted By: glamson

It was illegal Roman - 05/05/09 02:30 PM

Quote:

Actually there are a few in the UP of Michigan. My dad had run across some while hunting.....he couldnt bring himself to pull the trigger on them..

Roman

Roman,

If he ran across them before last June it was a good thing he didn't pull the trigger. Up until last year it was illegal in Michigan to kill an abino deer. Alot of states do protect albinos due to their rarity. Check out this link

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/06/michigan_wildlife_officials_ma.html

Geo
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: It was illegal Roman - 05/05/09 02:41 PM

Were talking like over 35 years ago....

Wasnt illegal then.

But then...isnt that the definition of character?

What your do even when laws don't bind you to an action?

(IE: what you do when no one is lookin)

Roman
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: It was illegal Roman - 05/06/09 12:19 PM

Massanutten Mountain in the Shenadoah Valley of Virginia has had a herd of Albino Whitetails for as long as I can remember. It's a resort and they thrive in the protected area.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: It was illegal Roman - 05/06/09 12:41 PM

We have a time share there. I'll have to go check it out.
Posted By: montana

Re: It was illegal Roman - 05/11/09 05:41 AM

THat is really cool! Here in Eastern Montana, an albino is pretty rare. Some distant relatives of mine have a nice 5 pointer that lives near their hay yard they keep a close eye on. Its the only one I've seen. There is also currently an albino cow moose in the Bighorn mountains of Wyoming, but I have not seen it in person.

Derrick
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: It was illegal Roman - 05/11/09 12:05 PM

There's an albino cow moose near west glacier too. . .
Posted By: glamson

Re: It was illegal Roman - 05/11/09 02:28 PM

Quote:

THat is really cool! Here in Eastern Montana, an albino is pretty rare. Some distant relatives of mine have a nice 5 pointer that lives near their hay yard they keep a close eye on. Its the only one I've seen. There is also currently an albino cow moose in the Bighorn mountains of Wyoming, but I have not seen it in person.

Derrick

While white moose are relatively rare, apparently they are not necessarily true albino. A true albino lacks any pigment and will have pink eyes. According to this link, white is a natural color for a small number of moose.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/albinomoose.asp

I'd love to see one in the wild.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum