The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Predator calls?

Posted By: JeffDinPA

Predator calls? - 03/16/06 10:43 PM

Has anyone ever used Predator calls? There are many on the market for hunters, and I wondered if they work and what thoughts some of you may have? Do you consider it cheating, cruel, or the best way to get a shot?
I had a coyote in the yard again today, but he spotted me before I saw him, and in a flash all I saw was a fainting glimpse of his tail. Now I would hesitate to bring him closer to the house since I just may loose my cat, but it reminded me to ask about the callers. I saw one on TV, a local show for outdoorsman called Pennsylvania Outdoor Life. Then I looked on Cabela’s site, and found this Very Interesting
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Predator calls? - 03/17/06 12:08 AM

Quote:

Has anyone ever used Predator calls? There are many on the market for hunters, and I wondered if they work and what thoughts some of you may have? Do you consider it cheating, cruel, or the best way to get a shot?

The fact that there are so many on the market tells you they work, or the hunters wouldn't be buying them. It is only cheating if it is unlawful to do so in your area. It isn't cruel because you are doing no harm to the animal. For some animals, it is about the only way to get them into range to photograph them. Using calls are not easy, you have to learn how to use them and when to use them. In some areas, electronic calls are not legal to use while in other areas, they are legal to use. Check with your local Fish & Game department to see what is legal and they might be able to recommend somebody to teach you how to use them. Wildlife photography uses the same skills as hunting or trapping. Want to be a better wildlife photographer? Be a better biologist, hunter and/or trapper and your photography skills in wildlife will get better.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Predator calls? - 03/17/06 12:18 PM

"Check with your local Fish & Game department to see what is legal and they might be able to recommend somebody to teach you how to use them."

Hi David,

This is a good point. I know that the use of calls are illegal in certain parks, such as Yellowstone.

James

Re: Predator calls? - 03/17/06 02:17 PM

Thanks guys.
I know the use of some electronic predator calls are illegal for hunters to use in PA. I just assumed it applied to hunters and without any intention of killing the animal I was exempt. But now what you are saying James, is that perhaps in some areas it's illegal, period. David thanks, I will look further. And David I am of the same school of though as you, I though it a good idea. As I learn more tracking and hunting techniques, I will try and apply them to photography.
I liked that little hundred dollar unit, and thought it may work for me. I, however am unsure if I am prepared to Camo up and sit in still in the woods for hours. I am no hunter, but living in PA gives me access to one of the largest hunting cultures in the states. I have been researching the topics more this last year and find that hunting is a very boring hobby. I mean, there is brief moments of glory preceded by hours of pure boredom. I never realized until recently that deer hunters sometime climb into a tree and sit there near motionless for dawn to dusk.

Re: Predator calls? - 03/17/06 05:41 PM

Quote:

I, however am unsure if I am prepared to Camo up and sit in still in the woods for hours. I am no hunter, but living in PA gives me access to one of the largest hunting cultures in the states. I have been researching the topics more this last year and find that hunting is a very boring hobby. I mean, there is brief moments of glory preceded by hours of pure boredom. I never realized until recently that deer hunters sometime climb into a tree and sit there near motionless for dawn to dusk.

Not much different than a landscape photographer that sits for long periods of time until the light gets right or a bird photographer that sits in a blind waiting for the bird to appear. I grew up in Ohio and therefore know about the hunting culture in that part of the country. Now I live in an even bigger hunting culture.... Alaska. I believe that it was Leonard Lee Rue III that started using hunting calls for wildlife photography. That man learned so much about nature from his 50+ years of wildlife photography that he was awarded an Honorary PHD in Science from Colorado State University.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Predator calls? - 03/17/06 07:39 PM

It's ethical, but you will get limited results, and depending on your location, you would need to be aware of bear activity. The digital electronic calls are the best for predators. If you get the small, portable, hand-held units, buy the extra speaker and you will be able to pull the animal in closer as you can put the call in a location adjacent to you, thus tricking your prey into walking right past you toard the sound of the dieing rabbit.

It has limited application because most predators that are called, move quickly, often too fast for you to get set up, or they "hang-up" just out of range. If they spot any kind of funny business they will NOT come in. That's why it's hard to get really good shots and it has limited use - IMHO. In contrast to photography, A hunter needs only a split second to see the animal, put the crosshairs on him at a distance still too far for the animal to relize what's going on, and shoot - unfortunately, we do not have glass that long, and if we did they would see the front ellement long before you would get any good shots.

Also, a predator that's on the hunt and going after food, is also prey, therefore they are extreemly alert and will spook at the first sign that somthing's wrong. they are very, very aware of what's going on arround them when it comes to food.

You can improve your success by combining a digtial call with an electric or remote activated decoy like a rabit or some kind of fur that jumps arround. Those things seem to help a lot especially if the animal can see it. If he sees it and thinks it's prey, and nothing is there eating it yet, he will approch quickly, and with less apprehention.

Finally, the wind. No matter what you do use the wind, if a predator smells you you never even will know they were there. If they smell you they will head the oposite direction in a hurry, especially if they know that they have been tricked by a call. And, for most animals it only takes one or two times before they figure it out - keep this in mind when selecting a location from which to call, animals that have been called will be almost impossible to photograph.

A huge word of caution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hunt as well as photograph wildlife and I call in one or more gizzlies EVERY year. Just know that if youre calling predators, you could be the prey!

Good luck and have at it, it can be a lot of fun, so I'm told - LOL!
Take care.

Re: Predator calls? - 03/17/06 08:24 PM

Quote:

You can improve your success by combining a digtial call with an electric or remote activated decoy like a rabit or some kind of fur that jumps arround. Those things seem to help a lot especially if the animal can see it. If he sees it and thinks it's prey, and nothing is there eating it yet, he will approch quickly, and with less apprehention.

This is another area to check with Fish & Game about the legalities. I have read that the mechanical decoys are so effective that some Fish & Game Departments are considering making them illegal if they haven't already.

When I have used calls before, I used a blind and set the speaker elswhere so that I could photograph the animal going towards the speaker instead of towards me. A diversionary tactic.

I am also a hunter. .375 H&H is my survival gear.

Re: Predator calls? - 03/17/06 10:43 PM

Thanks Guys, lot of good advice here. I may have to see if a friend has any of these electronic calls to try before I buy. The one I linked above from Cabela's in my first post, is a remote controlled speaker with a fuzzy tailed bit of fur on a stick. All of what you are referring to. Again for me, it’s about finding the time to get out and sit in a blind. The damn job keeps getting in the way:)

BTW will these type of tactics get birds to come down also? And how load are the electronic calls?

David, I know of a few people from Ohio, but have never lived there. I would have to guess that PA has a stronger hunting presence. Sure, there is no big game hunting here, but per capita, there are more hunters in this state then nearly all the others. If I recall we rank about third. That is one reason Cabela's put there store here. So even though I am not a hunter, I have access to a boat load of information. And within say a 30 mile radius of the house I have access to over 40000 acres of state game lands. A good opportunity to say the least.

Re: Predator calls? - 03/17/06 11:18 PM

Quote:

BTW will these type of tactics get birds to come down also? And how load are the electronic calls?

Audubon Society has a CD or DVD with all kinds of Bird calls on it, so I think it would work for birds also. The loudness of the electronic calls would vary accourding to the size of the amplifier built in. I used to buy cassette tapes with animal calls and bird calls and used a cassette recorder with an external waterproof speaker for my calling.

Quote:

David, I know of a few people from Ohio, but have never lived there. I would have to guess that PA has a stronger hunting presence. Sure, there is no big game hunting here, but per capita, there are more hunters in this state then nearly all the others. If I recall we rank about third. That is one reason Cabela's put there store here. So even though I am not a hunter, I have access to a boat load of information. And within say a 30 mile radius of the house I have access to over 40000 acres of state game lands. A good opportunity to say the least.

I would think that PA has a lot more hunters than OH because it is a much bigger State. As far as big game hunting, Whitetail deer and black bear both are considered to be "big game" and when I used to live in that part of the country, both were able to be hunted there.

Within a 30 mile radius where I now live, I have access to 2 million acres of wildlife refuge, beaches of the Pacific Ocean, views of 4 active volcanoes with one of them in a constant state of eruption, Moose, Caribou, Black & Brown Bears, fox, lynx, wolves, coyote, all kinds of furbearers and over 250 species of birds including our 2nd most common bord, the Bald Eagle. This is some of the reasons I moved from Ohio to Alaska, but I do miss the Oaks and Maples in the fall.

Re: Predator calls? - 03/18/06 04:11 AM

Hey David, I'll have to get that Audubon CD.
You are right, I fogot about the bear. Hunters killed nearly 1000 during this years week long season. And they are hunting elk once again i the north west corner.
My wife and I have frequentlly discussed moving to Alaska within the next 10 years or so. I'll have to pick your brain some day:)
Posted By: rustin

Re: Predator calls? - 03/22/06 02:14 AM

You could download some bird calls on your ipod and then play them on a little speaker. In the Everglades,NP it is illegal to use any recordings to get a bird to come closer. During mating seasons it does put added stress on the birds. Rustin

Re: Predator calls? - 03/22/06 05:27 AM

Hey Rustin,

That is an interesting idea. It was once explained to me how to do moose calls with a rope and a coffee can. I was all worked up to try it until I learned that it is illegal in Yellowstone and the Tetons.

James

Re: Predator calls? - 03/22/06 05:32 AM

Coffee can and cotton shoestring, wet the shoestring, tie a knot in one end, run the shoestring through a hole in the bottom of the coffee can and run your thumb and forefinger down the string making the sound of a moose during the rut. Old hunting trick here in Alaska.

Re: Predator calls? - 03/23/06 04:40 PM

Hummm Rustin, you have me thinking now. On bird I would love to get a good clean shot of is a Pileated Woodpecker. I have only seen the bird 4 or so times. I would assume they are more talkative during mating season. I would also assume that's now here in PA.

I will have to do some searching

Re: Predator calls? - 03/24/06 05:56 AM

"Coffee can and cotton shoestring, wet the shoestring, tie a knot in one end, run the shoestring through a hole in the bottom of the coffee can and run your thumb and forefinger down the string making the sound of a moose during the rut. Old hunting trick here in Alaska. "

My friend told me that this was a popular practice among French Canadians who hunt. While I am not a fan of hunting, I can understand entirely this sort of things appeal to wildlife photographers. Believe it or not, we just received a solicitation to advertise digital calls on the website. As I am not interested in making NWP commercial at this time, I have turned them down. Still, it was flattering.

James
Posted By: RichardR

Re: Predator calls? - 03/24/06 10:47 AM

Quote:

On bird I would love to get a good clean shot of is a Pileated Woodpecker. I have only seen the bird 4 or so times.

You mean one of these, Jeff??

They are wary birds but I occasionally get lucky and sneak up on one.

Artificial calls are illegal in the Smokies but sure is tempting sometimes!!

Dick:)

Re: Predator calls? - 03/24/06 03:09 PM

Yes Richard, that's the bird. I love them and would like to get a couple good shots. Like you say they are wary, and somewhat rare. I’ll keep looking:) Great shot. Nice and sharp on the eye with a good catch light. How on earth did you get that close with a 200mm?:)

Re: Predator calls? - 03/24/06 03:35 PM

Thanks, Jeff!

Quote:

How on earth did you get that close with a 200mm?:)

It's the old question and answer; "How do you get close to a rare bird?" Answer; "U-nique up on 'em!" LOL!!!

I can sometimes get pretty close if they are busy pecking wood and eating. They know I'm there but I move only when their heads are bobbing up and down and if available, go from tree to tree, using them as cover. Other times, they just fly away no matter what I do. As with any other wildlife, I never walk directly toward them and don't make eye contact. It's not that the animal doesn't see, hear, or smell me but whether they perceive me as a threat. I don't like to sit in blinds as I'd rather cover more ground and possibly come into contact with more animals and take my chances that I'll get some shots.

Best to you,

Re: Predator calls? - 03/25/06 11:35 PM

Hey Dick,

Very nice photo of the the woodpecker. How close do you get when photographing birds? Also, when you talk about your technique, it seems that you go to them via an indirect route...how slowly are you normally traveling when you do this?

James

Re: Predator calls? - 03/26/06 04:21 AM

Quote:

Hey Dick,

Very nice photo of the the woodpecker. How close do you get when photographing birds? Also, when you talk about your technique, it seems that you go to them via an indirect route...how slowly are you normally traveling when you do this?

Thanks, James! I think I was about 25' away from that Pileated, using the 80-200 with 1.4x TC. That's about as close as I can get as it seems their comfort zone under the best of circumstances is about 25-30 ft.

What I generally do is to walk diagonally, sometimes having to zig-zag, taking fairly slow and deliberate steps in a smooth walking motion. I keep any free hand in a pocket and avoid any quick head motions as the 'flash' from skin or any light object alerts them and sometimes will cause flight. The crunch of footsteps on dry leaves is unavoidable and not usually a problem with steady and smooth steps but the 'snap' of a dry twig is. A lot of it is just 'feel' for what the particular animal will let me get away with!

Here's a shot of me and one of my 'buck buddies', who had recently lost his antlers:

And one of the shots from that particular encounter. I had to back the 80-200 off to 145mm:

The same buck again this Winter, sporting a new rack, about 3/4th mile from where the one above was taken. He's not a tame deer by any means!! I later saw him running away from another photographer! 160mm with the 70-200VR.

I'm no expert tracker or stalker by any means but just some of the things I've learned from others and years of 'messing around' in the woods.

Best regards,

Re: Predator calls? - 03/27/06 08:24 PM

Wow Richard, we're going to start calling you the Wildlife Whisperer. That is very impressive. I like the way you kept a good size log between you and the deer. Looks like you old Buck Buddy has some good battle scars there too.
To within 25 feet of almost any bird is fantastic. I mean I find they rarely stick around long enough in one location with or without me approaching. I have to get out there and do some more looking. I did get fairly close to a turkey the other day, but that was only because he was on the trail of a girlfriend. So again it was a short lived encounter since she was not standing still.

Re: Predator calls? - 03/28/06 02:41 AM

Quote:

Wow Richard, we're going to start calling you the Wildlife Whisperer.

Heheheh....thank you, Jeff! The old buck had been beaten up pretty badly. I'd seen him a couple of weeks before in the same area with broken antlers and fresh gouges on his side. He actually fell asleep while I was sitting there watching him!!

Some time later, I found and collected one of his discarded antlers!

The thrill and enjoyment of getting close enough to the wildlife to watch their behaviours is far more rewarding than the photos I bring back. The last thing I want to do is disturb them but most seem to tolerate me pretty well so long as I behave!

Best to you,

Re: Predator calls? - 03/28/06 02:03 PM

"The thrill and enjoyment of getting close enough to the wildlife to watch their behaviours is far more rewarding than the photos I bring back."

Hi Richard,

I hear this entirely. Life is amazing.

"The last thing I want to do is disturb them but most seem to tolerate me pretty well so long as I behave!"

That is an art. One of my greatest frustrations is going into a park (in this case, Yellowstone) and seeing the lady shouting to her husband, "take a picture with me and the elk, Larry." A sadistic part of me keeps hoping that the elk they are cozieing (sp) up to is Charger.

James
Posted By: Chris_A

Re: Predator calls? - 04/03/06 06:04 PM

Was involved in a discussion on this in another forum. Food for thought (no pun intended), if FL has restrictions for bird calls during mating season, the reason being that it puts stress on the birds, imagine what it'd be like raising a nest of chicks when a fake, squeaky mouse starts chattering in a photog's pocket 10 feet away...likely luring predators to a nest area. Turns out birds react very strongly to distressed rodent calls, as it makes them fear a predator is there, or will be coming soon.

Re: Predator calls? - 04/03/06 11:02 PM

Chris,
Thanks for that tip. That is good advice too and I will keep that in mind if I ever get out there with a call.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum