The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE

Posted By: James Morrissey

Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/06/09 05:05 AM

Hey Guys,

I was recently offered the opportunity to put up my Elk photos at a restaurant in Elk County, Pennsylvania. The area gets a relatively large tourist viewing (for about a month and a half a year) of the elk during the fall months.

I would like to cull down the herd of elk photos to 6 or 7 (pun intended). Your advice for what you think the most salable will be is appreciated.

James

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Photo 9

Photo 10

Photo 11

Photo 12

Photo 13

Photo 14

Photo 15

Photo 16

Photo 17

Photo 18
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/07/09 07:27 PM

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I would possibly choose different photos depending on where they are at in the restaurant. If they are over the tables, where customers would be looking at them while eating, I might choose the more "relaxing" images, whereas if they are all in an entryway I might choose more that have a bit more "oomph" like the ones with the bull bellowing.

Overall I like best 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 12, and 14. I especially like 3 and 12.

Diana
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/07/09 07:29 PM

Actually, I think I like #4 better than #5 but it would depend on how extreme the sunrays are when they are printed.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/07/09 10:38 PM

Most salable vs favorites: now that's an interesting distinction. Here is my list of favorite images:

3, 4, 11, 16, 13 if you have the feet.

Now, are they salable? I really don't know but they'll make great prints.

Good luck and good job.

Jim
Posted By: Randall

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/08/09 12:58 PM

I like 2-3-4-11-14-16 you have some great shots, but like anything else if you are from Wyoming you want be as impressed as if you are from Pennsylvania , so I think you will do well. I find I do better if I sell the photos to the restaurant and not depend on them. That said I would make it as easy as possible for the patrons to obtain your card etc. Good Luck James this is a very nice series.
Posted By: Randall

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/08/09 01:01 PM

I change my mind 16 instead of 14 I think the bowhunters in the area will like it better, and you can see the rack better. Better b/g
Posted By: Don Edwards

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/08/09 04:29 PM

#3, #7, #11, #13, #16 and #18

I think those would make excellent prints.

Don
Posted By: psmith

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/08/09 09:27 PM

3, 4, 6, 12,and 18 get my vote

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/09/09 08:13 PM

Thanks all for the help on these...I know that it was a lot of photos to go through. Also, I was surprised by a couple that got consistent thumbs up (specifically #3) and one that was barely mentioned (#14). I am speaking with the owner of the restaurant imminently and this has definitely helped me key down which ones I want to use. So far, I think there is consensus on:

3, 4, 7, 11, 12, 16

I am debating using #14 or #18 for the seventh photo in the series. My only problem with the last shot of the juvenile elk is that I have never seen scrub brush like that on the East Coast areas I am frequenting. :P.

James

PS As Jim noticed, I am definitely looking towards 'sellable' versus 'favorite,' as I think that it makes the selection process a bit more 'objective.' LOL, we shall see.
Posted By: 3rd Time Around

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/10/09 07:03 PM

well, here are my 2 cents for what it is worth. I like 3, 6, 8, 9, 11, 14 and 16. Hope you had a great time. It looks like you did.

Margaret
Posted By: dave_lines

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/10/09 11:23 PM

the ones I would chose are 3,4,7,11,15 and 16,, don't care for 12 at all, no particular reason,, just doesn't do anything for me,,DAve
Posted By: Tyler

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/11/09 09:25 AM

#3 and #4 are the ones that stand out to me the most.
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Elk - Need Advice - WARNING LARGE - 09/11/09 05:46 PM

Quote:

I am debating using #14 or #18 for the seventh photo in the series. My only problem with the last shot of the juvenile elk is that I have never seen scrub brush like that on the East Coast areas I am frequenting. :P.

James

James:

Sorry to be late in responding. I think #14 would sell better than # 18.

Jim

Re: Elk - One more from the Archive... - 09/13/09 04:51 AM

This is one that I found while digging around some of my archives. Thoughts?

James

© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum