The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Back from Alaska

Posted By: gll

Back from Alaska - 09/24/09 02:21 AM

we spent one day at Silver Salmon Creek, pretty amazing place. had overcast light but it was still fun.

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/24/09 03:26 AM

Gary!!! These are absolutely amazing. My favorites are hte first and last - but they are all good. Very very fine work of which you should be very proud. Thanks for sharing.

James
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/24/09 03:47 AM

That is right across the inlet from my house.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/24/09 12:12 PM

Great pictures, Gary. Hope you waved to David while you were there.

Jim
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/24/09 06:02 PM

Very nicely done Gary. Looks like your trip was a HUGE success. Congratulations!

Jim
Posted By: jadlh

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/24/09 10:28 PM

And how close are you actually standing? Is that over a 400mm?
Great series.

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/25/09 02:46 AM

Thanks everyone, we really had a great time
Dave I intended to contact you but we simply got caught up in the sights and the rush to see everything, there was lots of stuff we didn't get to see.
I was shooting a 500 and Deb was using a 200-400, two different times we had bears 6 - 8 ft from us! and they seemed aware but uninterested in us. the last picture is cropped because the background was so bright

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/25/09 12:41 PM

David - this is not fair at all! You live in such an amazing place.

Gary - 8 feet????????? You didn't feel even slightly scared? LOL, I was once within about 25 feet of a very youngish griz - and I was having perpetual thoughts that he was going to have me for dinner. I know I MUST taste better than the grubs he was foraging. :P

James
Posted By: psmith

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/25/09 01:31 PM

Quote:

two different times we had bears 6 - 8 ft from us! and they seemed aware but uninterested in us.

Amazing images! But 6 - 8 feet? That is one quick leap and gobble for these bears. Did you have a tour guide or something helping make sure you were safe?

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/25/09 06:25 PM

Silver Salmon Creek Lodge is an amazing place. David Cardinal has been conducting photography tours there in July for the past ten years. There is no place on earth that is better for photographing brown bears, eagles and shorebirds from the same location. The bears are habituated to humans photographing them and for the most part ignore the humans. 6 - 8 feet is a common distance there.

Gary, I understand about getting caught up in the sights. I came up here in 1984 and still get caught up in the sights.

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/26/09 02:59 AM

Yes 6 - 8 feet, We had a guide a young lady that couldn't of weighed 110 lbs, they told us first thing "Don't think you can get this close any where else", there is a very good food supply in the salmon, the bears tolerate us and almost seem indifferent to us being there
Posted By: Buddy Thomason

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/26/09 09:01 PM

Cool! First shot is a real winner, combining dramatic action with both creatures' eyes visible and in focus.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/27/09 04:38 AM

Truly amazing photos. The first one is stunning, that is one huge fish and one huge paw!

Diana
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/29/09 02:55 AM

Thats one big dog.............what a shot....# 1 awesomest..I bet the overcast light helped keep the exposure as level as it is. Where is this location?

Re: Back from Alaska - 09/29/09 06:30 AM

Silver Salmon Creek Lodge

Re: Back from Alaska - 10/03/09 05:16 PM

Hey David,

Thanks for your perspective on the safety issue.

"Gary, I understand about getting caught up in the sights. I came up here in 1984 and still get caught up in the sights. "

David, I must come visit you some day. You live in an amazing place.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum