The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP

Posted By: gll

A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/10/09 11:41 PM

Its been a busy fall for us, spent two weeks in Alaska then back to work two weeks and then two weeks in the Tetons and now back to the real world, I think that's the way it should be work two weeks then off two weeks... 4 weeks pay!
I found out how tough it is to get good focus and exposure in a snow storm,

Bull Moose Grand Tetons

Debbie shot this in Yellowstone.

Antelope Buck Grand Tetons

two smaller bulls practicing. RMNP

the ladies even got fired up! RMNP
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/11/09 05:51 PM

Hey Gary,

Nice shots - you are a lucky dog getting the snow like that. The buffalo is probably my favorite shot of all of the Yellowstone ones that you shared. When exactly was this?

Cheers
James

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/11/09 08:27 PM

Thanks James
we left the Tetons Tuesday morning the 6th in a snow storm and left RMNP Thursday the 8th in a snow storm, it kinda followed us around.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/12/09 03:12 AM

Beautiful! Especially like that first one.

Diana
Posted By: Jim Rickards

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/13/09 12:18 PM

Nice photos, Gary. While I admire the 'picture perfect' nature of the Bison photo, the 1st and 3rd Moose impress me in a different way. Well done all around.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/13/09 01:36 PM

do you mind sharing with the forum where you found the bull moose?

Thanks for posting, it looks like you had a great time!

Tony

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/14/09 11:36 AM

Thanks for the comments, it was fun, the Moose was in the Grand Tetons on Moose Wilson Road, (near the Moose Junction visitors center) we looked almost daily and found two the the last morning in the snow.
Posted By: jadlh

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/15/09 01:45 AM

I like the Buffalo the best, nice series.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/15/09 04:02 PM

Thanks! it's strange how hard sometimes moose are to fine, as big as they are you'd think they would be easy to find, but in my view, they are harder to photograph well then grizzly bears. . .
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/15/09 05:36 PM

Hey Tony,

Moose Wilson is sometimes real hit or miss. It is what I would consider PERFECT habitat, but the road has become a real hotspot for tourist activity and I have found that moose are less and less frequent there. LOL, I still drive down it, but I find fewer and fewer yields.

I have found much better success heading towards Gros Ventre. Oxbow Bend also has a resident male that is enormous.

James

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/17/09 03:24 AM

I spent 6 days camped at Gros Ventre and the resident bull moose was gone. I heard as soon as he bred the cow he picked up and left. They had blocked off the camp grounds so you had to park at the amphitheater then walk around to look for him, several miles around, we saw the cow every morning but no bull.
Posted By: daveman

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/17/09 03:51 PM

Wow - I get cold just looking at these shots. What a great set.
Posted By: Wendell

Re: A few from Grand Tetons and Rocky Mt. NP - 10/23/09 11:08 PM

Nice Gary, you were in a real winter wonderland and you had large mammals with you! Some good shots here, I can see how it would be hard to focus in such a heavy snowfall. I guess you would have to focus manually? What did you learn from this? The Bison is my pick, but I love the look of the moose with the snow encrusted face.
wl
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum