The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown

Posted By: glamson

Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 09:27 AM

I made my pilgrimage to the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge complex in the central valley of California last week. The refuge includes five sites in the valley and located directly on the Pacific Flyway. There are almost 5 million birds there at peak winter season, of which about 1+ million are Snow Geese and 2+ million are ducks of various species. It is truly a spectacular experience to see the geese when they fill the sky with their wings and the sound of thousands of geese honking is incredible. I try to take in the whole day from predawn to nightfall when I am there. The main site of the refuge is located here
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Willows,+CA&sll=39.303219,-120.390015&sspn=0.015243,0.022917&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Willows,+Glenn,+California&ll=39.429597,-122.172389&spn=0.03043,0.062099&t=h&z=15

Here are some of the results of a typical day of shooting at the refuge

Starting at sunrise

Whiite Pelicans are frequent visitors

As are Peregring falcons

Hawks of all flavors

Northern Harrier

White-faced Ibis

But the main attraction is really the water fowl like the clouds of Snow Geese

That do spend alot of their time on the ground

Lots of Shoveler ducks

And though not a plentiful as in the midwest, there are alot of Sand Hill Cranes that pass through

As well as Tundra Swan

And not all the residents are avian

And as the sun sets, the sky is filled with formations of birds likt the Whie-faced Ibis

And the multiple V formations of geese

And the day finally goes out in a blaze of glory
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 12:42 PM

Really enjoyed these shots! Nice work!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 01:25 PM

Spectacular images, Geo. What a great place to visit and what a great day to shoot. Love the Peregrine Falcon -- seldom get to see them around here. Your late-day shots of the bird clusters in flight are really nice. Great stuff!

Jim
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 03:56 PM

Your image of the white face Ibis is wonderful. It is my favorite. Although I wished I could be there to hear and see the volume of birds. I am sure it had to be grand. Looks like you had an amazing time.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 04:29 PM

Nice shots George. Do you have more of the cranes? Love the snow geese...I can watch them for hours. Hopefully I'll get out to meet a flock next week.
Posted By: jadlh

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 06:21 PM

Excellent shots.
We do however have an area a couple of hours south from Michigan into Indiana where over 60,000 sandhill cranes gather each fall. I've been there and the sound is amazing.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 06:42 PM

Geo,

Do the bald eagles show up when the snow geese come through?

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 07:02 PM

Quote:

Really enjoyed these shots! Nice work!

Marie,

Thanks for the feedback. On you really on the site at 4:42AM?

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 07:26 PM

Quote:

Nice shots George. Do you have more of the cranes? Love the snow geese...I can watch them for hours. Hopefully I'll get out to meet a flock next week.

Preston,

Here are a couple of more of the SHCs. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get that close to them. Theses are moderate crops of my 500mm images.

And as for the Bald Eagles it is surprising that there really aren't that many of them at the refuge. In the years that I've been going there, I've only seen a couple pretty far away. I think they all go over to Salt Lake City.

Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 11/30/09 08:34 PM

How fun is that! I especially like the Sandhill Cranes, the combination of their elegance and coloring, but that one of the Ibis grooming themselves is really great. That is one I'd enjoy having framed on the wall. How long are the majority of birds typically around? I have someone up in the San Fran area wanting a home shoot, maybe I could combine it with a bird shoot too.

diana

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 12/01/09 02:03 AM

Quote:

How fun is that! I especially like the Sandhill Cranes, the combination of their elegance and coloring, but that one of the Ibis grooming themselves is really great. That is one I'd enjoy having framed on the wall. How long are the majority of birds typically around? I have someone up in the San Fran area wanting a home shoot, maybe I could combine it with a bird shoot too.

diana

Diana,

Thanks for the positive feedback. The bulk of the birds hang around until the end of February. Then they start moving north again. The refuge is about 2 hours from SF by car. The town of Willows is about 2 miles up the road and has a couple of OK motels. If you stay for a night you can get the sunup and sundown pics.

Geo
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 12/06/09 04:47 AM

Wow- I'll go with the Snow Geese shot's. Great series. I'll go see some Snow Geese next time I have the chance around here, they migrate yearly, next time I go...great posts..
Posted By: karlo reyes

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 12/06/09 11:43 PM

wow the birds at flight is a sight to see! the shutter speed must be blazing! regarding iso setting for these shots do you use automatic?
Posted By: Wacky roger

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 12/07/09 02:59 AM

WOW!!! a double mighty nice for this set.
Posted By: DonAldridge

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 01/02/10 03:31 PM

Is the Delevan Refuge worth going to in addition to the Sacramento WR? Thanks.

Re: Sacramento NWR - Sunup to Sundown - 01/02/10 04:46 PM

Quote:

Is the Delevan Refuge worth going to in addition to the Sacramento WR? Thanks.

Delevan is actually part of the Sacramento NWR Complex. As you can see from the Google Maps link below, Delevan is really almost an extension of Sacramento NWR. All the same rules apply although in my opinion the roads are better set up at Sacramento. It's very easy to see both in the same day.

Google Maps - Delavan

Geo
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum