The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Beeeep Beep (FUN)

Posted By: Wacky roger

Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 12/24/09 05:13 PM

Beeeep Beep (FUN)

What a fun Roadrunner this character was, he was really curious and came looking every time I used my crow call.

Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 12/24/09 07:04 PM

Roger,

Your pictures of a Roadrunner reminded me of one of my favorite stories about my dear, departed mother-in-law, Gisela.

During my in-laws' first trip to visit my wife and I here in Tucson, one of the first places we took them was Saguaro NP East. While walking the nature trail behind the Visitors Center, my wife noticed a Roadrunner on the path just a couple of feet behind her mom.

"Look, a Roadrunner right behind you!", my wife exclaimed. Gisela, who was often the victim of practical jokes because of her gullibility, refused to turn around and look. The only roadrunner she had seen to that point was in American cartoons, and she was determined not to be the butt of another joke.

Despite our repeated pleas, she refused to turn around and, eventually, the roadrunner sauntered off into the brush. Gisela was quite pleased with herself for not having "fallen for it" until she learned they really do exist the next day.

From that point on, all you had to say was, "Look, a roadrunner!" and she would instinctively turn and look behind her.

Thanks for the memory!

Jim

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 12/24/09 09:41 PM

Quote:

Roger,

Your pictures of a Roadrunner reminded me of one of my favorite stories about my dear, departed mother-in-law, Gisela.

During my in-laws' first trip to visit my wife and I here in Tucson, one of the first places we took them was Saguaro NP East. While walking the nature trail behind the Visitors Center, my wife noticed a Roadrunner on the path just a couple of feet behind her mom.

"Look, a Roadrunner right behind you!", my wife exclaimed. Gisela, who was often the victim of practical jokes because of her gullibility, refused to turn around and look. The only roadrunner she had seen to that point was in American cartoons, and she was determined not to be the butt of another joke.

Despite our repeated pleas, she refused to turn around and, eventually, the roadrunner sauntered off into the brush. Gisela was quite pleased with herself for not having "fallen for it" until she learned they really do exist the next day.

From that point on, all you had to say was, "Look, a roadrunner!" and she would instinctively turn and look behind her.

Thanks for the memory!

Jim

Jim thank you for the fun story. Merry Christmas to you and yours and a happy 2010.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 12/25/09 08:14 PM

Hey Roger,

Thanks for sharing - these are really great. I particularly like the lead 3 photos with the close ups.

James

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 12/26/09 11:04 PM

Quote:

Hey Roger,

Thanks for sharing - these are really great. I particularly like the lead 3 photos with the close ups.

James

Hi James, he looks like he forgot to shave that morning.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 12/26/09 11:44 PM

Neat photos. Love the roadrunners' little mohawks. Are those feathers just a fashion statement or do they serve some other purpose?

Diana

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 12/27/09 01:50 AM

Quote:

Neat photos. Love the roadrunners' little mohawks. Are those feathers just a fashion statement or do they serve some other purpose?

Diana

Hi Diana, When alarmed or curious, it slowly raises its shaggy crest and long, white-edged tail.
Posted By: karlo reyes

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 01/01/10 04:23 PM

wow sharp photos you got there! can share how you processed these? thanks happy new year!
Posted By: Randall

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 01/01/10 11:18 PM

Hey Roge thats pretty goood , what all kinds of calls do you use. HOw about a coyote call I have been thinking of buying one for here in Ohio, but we don;t have as many as there seem to be out west.

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 01/01/10 11:45 PM

Quote:

wow sharp photos you got there! can share how you processed these? thanks happy new year!

Geeeeez I will try to answer.

I shoot raw and open them in lightroom and maybe makes some small adjustments. Save them as JPG and that is that.

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 01/01/10 11:47 PM

Quote:

Hey Roge thats pretty goood , what all kinds of calls do you use. HOw about a coyote call I have been thinking of buying one for here in Ohio, but we don;t have as many as there seem to be out west.

My general all purpose call is a crow call. Crows seem to pester all other animals so when I use it most all animals & birds look.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 01/02/10 12:18 AM

Nice job. . . I remember a story too told by Bruce Dale, one of national geographics most celebrated photographers, he actually built a stuffed dummy bird and put it on a remote control body to shoot the mating rituals of the road runner. If you ever get a chance to meet him or listen to his presentation on the road runner shoot, it's worth you time.

Tony

Re: Beeeep Beep (FUN) - 01/02/10 02:05 AM

Quote:

Nice job. . . I remember a story too told by Bruce Dale, one of national geographics most celebrated photographers, he actually built a stuffed dummy bird and put it on a remote control body to shoot the mating rituals of the road runner. If you ever get a chance to meet him or listen to his presentation on the road runner shoot, it's worth you time.

Tony

Thanks for the look and for the information Tony.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum