The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Will flash hurt a barn owl...?

Posted By: rpcrowe

Will flash hurt a barn owl...? - 07/05/10 04:56 PM

There is a barn owl that sits on a fence near my house just about every night. I'd like to get a picture of this beautiful creature but, I am concerned that a flash might adversely impact the bird. IMO, there is no image worth hurting an animal to capture.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? - 07/05/10 06:30 PM

Think of it as artificial lightning. Storms don't hurt owls unless they are struck by lightning, neither will a flash.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? - 07/05/10 06:58 PM

Glad you're thinking of the safety of your subjects.

Flash is fine for birds of all sorts, but with owls, on-camera flash can be problematic because of eye-shine. You'll need to get the flash well off camera to avoid it.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? - 07/06/10 12:29 PM

Hi Richard,

I think you are raising a good question. The answer is probably 'no.'. Many bird photos incorporate flash. Generally I never use flash when shooting wildlife as I don't want to spook the critters. However, most of my pet work does. Now that i think about it, It seems like I make a bit of an irrational distinction...

BTW, a lot of birders use a product called a 'Better Beamer' to extend the reach of their flash.

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? - 07/16/10 03:39 PM

Only if you chuck it at him.

Roman
Posted By: jadlh

Re: Will flash hurt a barn owl...? - 08/13/10 02:13 PM

The flash might hurt his night vision for a minute if you are taking photos in the dark, other than that there should be no side effects.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum