The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Opal Creek....

Posted By: RomanJohnston

Opal Creek.... - 08/09/10 02:30 PM

This is my first time here with the water being low and revealing the power of the water and the swirling rock sculptures. Only had 30min to work the area, but pleased none the less. Also have my new tool there to get the colors right (article in the works)

Here is the pool I was working:

And here are a few images from that area (more in my gallery)

The colors are dead on. I usually have quite a time editing and my new x-rite tool really helped out. I am currently writing an article on this tool and very happy to add this to my bag.

Roman
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/09/10 04:48 PM

Very nice Roman. Where is Opal Creek? That water came out so colorful.

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/09/10 08:17 PM

Hey Penny, Opal Creek is between Salem and Detroit Lake in Oregon. Beautiful country. And YEP! about the water...hence the name.

Roman
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/10/10 09:50 PM

Hey Roman,

Thanks for sharing. My favorite of the series is the last. I agree with Penny, the color of the water is something else.

James
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/11/10 02:45 PM

Beautiful scenes and great rendition!
Posted By: jadlh

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/11/10 11:24 PM

These are really great, you have a lot of texture in those photos from smooth water to the rugged tree line, that's beautiful.

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/12/10 01:32 PM

Thanks Durwood, and Nolad. I love this place. One of my favorites to come back to again and again. With each water level change, new details become eveident.

Roman
Posted By: psmith

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/12/10 02:16 PM

Beautiful work.

So how did you expose these? What camera/lens? Tripod/head?

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/12/10 02:24 PM

Actually, you will see an article on a tool I just bought which might help a LOT. I should have it ready by the end of this weekend at the latest.

Exposures were taken between 8 and 15 seconds. I arrived just before sunset so it was starting to get pretty dark. Dark enough that live view was not much of an option.

I used a D300, the Tokina 12-24 on it, Tripod is a Gitzo with a RRS ballhead.

Roman
Posted By: psmith

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/12/10 07:58 PM

Thanks Roman.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/20/10 06:23 AM

I've never seen fanning of the water like that. What causes it? I like the third one the best, such interesting color and textures in the rocks.

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/20/10 11:47 AM

Diana, that is fast moving water, and a long exposure.

Thanks!!!

Roman
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/20/10 01:49 PM

Everytime I look at those photos I want to come out and visit! Such gorgeous colors. How is the article coming? Will you post it soon?

Re: Opal Creek.... - 08/23/10 07:22 PM

Got writers block..and a few more things to do...its comming...probably another week or so. And thanks about the shots. Common out and visit...its beautiful out here.

Roman
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Opal Creek.... - 09/13/10 09:05 PM

Love this shot, Roman. The colors are wonderful. Did you use any sort of filter?

Re: Opal Creek.... - 09/13/10 09:08 PM

Nothing but a polarizer to make sure reflections didnt take away from the Coke Bottle Green the water is.

Thanks!!

Roman
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum