The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Hummingbird Extravaganza!

Posted By: Glenn Bartley

Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/03/10 02:36 PM

I absolutely love hummingbirds. So I thought I would post a few of my favourites from around the world. I'd love to hear what you think. And if you want to see more be sure to visit my website. I have photographed over 100 species of these amazing birds.

All the best!

Glenn

Ruby Topaz - Tobago

White-crested Coquette - Costa Rica

Calliope Hummingbird - Canada

Great Saphirewing - Ecuador

Rufous Hummingbird - Canada

Saphire-vented Puffleg - Ecuador

Posted By: Attila Kegyes

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/03/10 09:28 PM

I have a question for you!

How did you achive to freez the wings very well, but no ghost shadows around them, but still the backgrounds are well or even little over exposed?

Technically its seems to be impossible unless......
and that is my question! How did you do that?

I want to photographing hummingbirds too!
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/03/10 10:59 PM

I'm guessing it was a set up with multiple flashes and that the background was illuminated separately from the subject.
Posted By: daveman

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/04/10 12:40 AM

What an incredible series. I also am curious about the set up...

These are really nice.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/04/10 04:28 AM

Hi Glenn,

This is a beautiful series. I want to also ask a bit more about your technique if that is OK.

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/04/10 01:45 PM

Nicely isolated. Good colors....very nice series.

Roman

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/04/10 03:40 PM

re. Technique - I am using a multi flash setup technique. I use between 4-6 flashes at a very low power to light the entire scene evenly.

Glad you are enjoying the results
Posted By: jadlh

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/05/10 01:35 AM

You have some excellent shots of hummingbirds, do you use a flash?
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/05/10 04:05 AM

Wow! Seen better than , the eye alone could..more on the setup, exif??
Posted By: Attila Kegyes

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/05/10 09:20 AM

With three or four flashes I didn't get a same resoult.

Three flash on a bird and still dark and the background even darker with only one flash. If I photographing under better natural light conditions (or I would use higher ISO film), a ghost shadow appear around the wings. So if I want to freez the wings it needs least 1/17000 illumination time, and if I don't want the sahdows around the wings, I need a same flash duration on a background too, but also I have to photographing in a low natural light conditions so the fashes must be the main ligth source! Otherwise the shadows appear around a wings! I don't have as much manual controllable flashes as you have, so I tried once one of my non controllable flash on a background and already the shadow is appeared around the wings, because there was to much the different of the flash duration between on a bird and on a background.

Some of your photo seems to me was taken under natural lights and only the bird was illuminated by flash.
I can see only one shine spot in their eyes! When I did use two flashes there is two spot, if I did use three flash, three spot are wisible in the bird eyes!

I have two Nikon SB-800. At 1/32 power the duration is 1/17800. With Softbox I have to place the flashes so close, to the flowers, and the birds are affraid to fead on them. Without softbox, I can place them farther, but I got a lot of gray spot on the ruby trhoated hummingbirds! I read about, they need to be light with soft lights to get the colors.

But I know some photographers use only one or two flash to freez the wings and they photographing under a very good natural light conditions, so they not need flashes on a background, then they are clone out in Photoshop the shadows around the wings.
That's why I did ask you how did you get thees shots?
Under natural lights I got the colors, I got the background, but the wings are blurry or if I use one flash to freez the wings still some blurry shadow appear around them.
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/05/10 12:25 PM

Great job Glenn! I would love to go on one of your workshops, maybe one day...

Your Ecuador workshop on hummers sounds so interesting!

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/05/10 02:17 PM

Quote:

With three or four flashes I didn't get a same resoult.

Three flash on a bird and still dark and the background even darker with only one flash. If I photographing under better natural light conditions (or I would use higher ISO film), a ghost shadow appear around the wings. So if I want to freez the wings it needs least 1/17000 illumination time, and if I don't want the sahdows around the wings, I need a same flash duration on a background too, but also I have to photographing in a low natural light conditions so the fashes must be the main ligth source! Otherwise the shadows appear around a wings! I don't have as much manual controllable flashes as you have, so I tried once one of my non controllable flash on a background and already the shadow is appeared around the wings, because there was to much the different of the flash duration between on a bird and on a background.

Some of your photo seems to me was taken under natural lights and only the bird was illuminated by flash.
I can see only one shine spot in their eyes! When I did use two flashes there is two spot, if I did use three flash, three spot are wisible in the bird eyes!

I have two Nikon SB-800. At 1/32 power the duration is 1/17800. With Softbox I have to place the flashes so close, to the flowers, and the birds are affraid to fead on them. Without softbox, I can place them farther, but I got a lot of gray spot on the ruby trhoated hummingbirds! I read about, they need to be light with soft lights to get the colors.

But I know some photographers use only one or two flash to freez the wings and they photographing under a very good natural light conditions, so they not need flashes on a background, then they are clone out in Photoshop the shadows around the wings.
That's why I did ask you how did you get thees shots?
Under natural lights I got the colors, I got the background, but the wings are blurry or if I use one flash to freez the wings still some blurry shadow appear around them.

Ultimately getting the background to look right is the most challenging aspect. It took me quite a while to develop a technique that works well. I generally use 4 flashes and the flash is also being used to light the BG. Perhaps this is why you got black BG's?

I remove the extra catch lights from the eyes afterwards in PS.

Cheers!

G
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/08/10 01:45 PM

Love these shots! Excellent series.
Posted By: gengiant

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 10/15/10 04:08 PM

Glenn,

Very inspiring series! I also love your website! You've built an incredible portfolio.

Holger Fuerst
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Hummingbird Extravaganza! - 11/02/10 10:14 AM

Jaw dropping images... a real treat to see your images of these gorgeous little jewels!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum