The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Late Autumn Waterfall

Posted By: Sunstruck

Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/08/10 02:15 PM

Yesterday was a beautiful day, sunny, warm, light breeze. I had my escape planned a head of time. Camera and tripod packed in the car, dogs home with hubby, and a rare afternoon to my self. So I went in search of waterfalls. Ct. has a couple of really nice falls, one set I drive by every day, twice a day on the way to and from work. They are not particularly large, just a nice stream cutting through the granite boulders. It was a nice tranquil walk, listening to the chipmunks chirping, birds singing and the water whispering.

For the rock hounds in the group, the large granite boulders you see are full of Garnets, some are gem quality. If I had my Macro lens with me, I would have gotten a couple of shots for you.

Enjoy the last nice day of autumn. Today we woke to Rain/Sleet/Freezing rain and snow. YUCK!
Posted By: Lesley

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/08/10 03:26 PM

Very nice, Penny. Where in CT are these falls... I am always looking for waterfalls. The second the third ones are really outstanding!

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/08/10 03:35 PM

Hi Lesley,

These are Enders Falls, Enders State Park, Route 219, Granby, Ct. There is a series of 6 falls all in a row. They are very unimaginatively called Enders Falls 1, Enders Falls 2, etc. They are all in a 1/4 mile stretch of the East Branch of the Salmon Brook River. When the river is low, you can walk across the rocks to the other side. It is a popular swimming hole for kids in the summer. I can't believe they jump off the cliffs! The pools are only 20-30' across, with a 30' drop! The water is quite chilly, even in the summer.

http://www.ctwaterfalls.com/falls/main.php?Enders1
Posted By: Tyler

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/08/10 08:49 PM

Nice. I especially like the 2nd.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/09/10 03:35 AM

Hey Penny,

These are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

James

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/09/10 02:29 PM

Thanks Tyler and James.

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/09/10 03:35 PM

Thanks, Penny! Have you ever seen them in the dead of winter? Do they freeze? I will definitely go and photograph these falls!
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/09/10 05:22 PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing these. Especially like #2.

Roman

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/09/10 08:03 PM

I have not seen them in the winter Lesley. I'll take a look when it gets colder and let you know. You will need cleats though. The trail down to Pic # 2 and 3 is treacherous right now with wet leaves. It is only a few inches wide with no railings, and only a couple of trees to grab onto, but it's worth the trip down.

Thanks a lot Roman! Not as nice as your Opal Falls, but I'm happy with how they came out.

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/10/10 11:12 AM

I have to be in CT on Saturday for a birthday party in Manchester next to Tails U Win, so I am going to go to the falls after the noontime party. I am fascinated with waterfall images and have only had one chance to photograph some in Middlebury, VT a couple of years ago.

I have to say that I have very frustrated with this site and linking photos to show here. Most of the time I cannot get any further than a little box saying creating image or I cannot show more than one image at a time... I may have to leave this site and I don't want to....

So Penny, I may not be able to show you my results from Sat's upcoming shoot.

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/10/10 02:01 PM

Give me a shout, I have to work Saturay until 3pm. If you are going to be there roughly then I'll meet you there. I may be able to sneak out a little earlier. The falls are about 10 minutes from my store.

Work: 1-860-379-1331

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/10/10 02:03 PM

I'm sorry, Lesley, are you having problems seeing my images, or the images on the website I linked to?

If it is my images, try here:

http://www.pennyjwillsphotography.com/Na...081638601_LsmDG

It is approx. a 45 minute drive from Tails to the falls.

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/10/10 08:25 PM

I can see everyone else's photo fine , it is trying to get my images on this site and if I get one but have three to show in a post it just won't do it.

Any who... Judy Jo Drake and Carol Stevens will be with me... it is Carol's 50th birthday party...it's also her mother's 80th so it is a joint party.So if we can get away in time I will call you and we can meet us there and you can be our guide!

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/10/10 09:41 PM

Sounds like a plan!
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/12/10 01:38 AM

What method are you using? None of the photos you see "embedded" in the messages are "on the site". They are links to images somewhere else. So there has to be a direct link to an image (and the url has to include the full image file name, like image.jpg)

Diana

Quote:

I can see everyone else's photo fine , it is trying to get my images on this site and if I get one but have three to show in a post it just won't do it.

Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/12/10 01:40 AM

Beautiful photos PJ! I'd be tempted to bring my little rock pickaxe and dig out a few of those garnets. Not for jewelry or finishing, just like raw gems and minerals.

Diana

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/14/10 10:55 AM

We made it to Enders Falls... I tried calling you Penny, but I stupidly transposed two numbers when I programmed it into my cell...

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/14/10 03:37 PM

And we can't wait to go back there and see the rest of the falls! Thanks so much, Penny for giving us the location! Here are a couple more.

Re: Late Autumn Waterfall - 11/15/10 11:40 AM

Thanks Diana! I'll see if I can find some of the smaller rocks that are loaded with garnets and send them to you.

Those photos came out gorgeous Lesley! That little park is so addicting, you never know what you will find. Count me in on your winter excursion to get them in the snow.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum