The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Yellowstone Bobcat

Posted By: naturezone

Yellowstone Bobcat - 11/11/10 06:55 AM

Found this bobcat near Phantom Lake in Yellowstone Park last January.

www.naturezonephotography.com

Thanks for looking!
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Yellowstone Bobcat - 11/11/10 12:15 PM

Hey Karl,

Where is Phantom Lake? BTW, you lucky dog! I have never seen cat in the wild. Can you tell me a bit more about the event? Did the cat beat feet the moment it saw you?

James
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Yellowstone Bobcat - 11/11/10 01:23 PM

That is a great shot Karl! Talk about camouflage kitty!
Posted By: jadlh

Re: Yellowstone Bobcat - 11/11/10 08:58 PM

Excellent shot, good composition. You were fortunate to see a cat like that in the wild.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Yellowstone Bobcat - 11/12/10 01:44 AM

Stunning cat.

Diana
Posted By: naturezone

Re: Yellowstone Bobcat - 11/12/10 04:55 AM

Quote:

Hey Karl,

Where is Phantom Lake? BTW, you lucky dog! I have never seen cat in the wild. Can you tell me a bit more about the event? Did the cat beat feet the moment it saw you?

James

Hi James,

Phantom Lake is in the northern part of the park, on the road between Mammoth and Tower Junction. The cat didn't stick around long... from the time I spotted it to the time it went over the top of the hill was only a matter of minutes. It moved up and across the hillside as I photographed it and only stopped 3 times to "pose" for a decent photo...

I stayed in the area for a while and it actually returned about a half-hour later, but I wasn't able to photograph it again as it moved into the trees and went down the hill right away.

From what I understand, a deer was hit by a car in the same area a couple days later and other visitors observed what was believed to be the same cat, as well as a couple of foxes, as the fed on the carcass.

The few minutes I was able to spend with the cat salvaged a weekend that was somewhat disappointing - with very little wildlife activity. Funny how quickly disappointment can turn around into one of the best experiences I've had in the park.

THANKS to everyone else for their nice comments, also. Take care...

Karl
Posted By: daveman

Re: Yellowstone Bobcat - 11/13/10 01:40 PM

What a great shot - If it were me I am sure the cat would have been long gone by the time I was done fumbling with my camera...

Nice job!!!
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Yellowstone Bobcat - 11/15/10 01:00 AM

Ha! Look at those muscles! The only Bcat I ever saw was stuffed. Enviable shot!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum