The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Mountain Goats - Wyoming

Posted By: Cristi Chapman

Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 01/28/11 07:39 PM

Here are some pictures of Mountain Goats taken near Alpine, Wyominng in the Snake River Canyon. They have come down a little early this year. I don't usually see them until the end of Feb. or beginning of March, but we have had quite a lot of snow.

[img:center]http://[/img]

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 01/28/11 10:20 PM

Hey Cristi,

Thanks for sharing! Are the mountain goats frequent visitors in Alpine? As I recall, Alpine is about 45 minutes South of Jackson, right? How long do they stay around after they come down in Feb/March?

Thanks
James

Re: Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 01/28/11 11:15 PM

Hi James - Yes, Alpine is about 45 minutes from Jackson. Usually the Goats are in the higher elevation in the canyon, but during the hardest months they come down. The Mtn. Goats can usually be seen about a 1/2 mile - 1 mile up the canyon along the hillsides. Most times they are conveniently located right by the pull offs, making it easy to get pics of them. Once the snow starts melting pretty good they take off, mid April or so.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 01/29/11 02:52 PM

Thanks, Cristi. These are cool. I have never seen a mountain sheep in all my years of traveling to YSNP. Believe it or not, Chanthee and I have even looked at a place in Alpine a couple of times (yearrrrrs ago). It is a beautiful small town. More recently, we looked at Victor, which is a bit closer to Jackson.

I definitely need to go back to alpine now! smile. It looks like the window needs to be in early Spring though, yes?

May I ask a personal question or two? How long have you been in Alpine? How do you like it?

Cheers
James
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 01/29/11 03:29 PM

Beautiful photos. I love the second one, with the snow falling. Pretty cool.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 01/29/11 03:40 PM

one of my specialties . . . the goats are down finding food that's for sure . . . as snow bound a critter as we think they are, they dont like snow much. It's not so much the depth of the snow, but the location and type of snow that's driven them down this early. The snow is crusted and or iced over their food so they've come down to eat. If the wind had blown the food source off, as it almost always does, they would likely not be down the early. . . they will leave as soon as their food source is available. Then, as you know, they will return to munch the first green shoots of spring and lick salt . . .
Keep them coming. . . Go back and see if you can get some shots of the billy's playing or the kids jumping around, i'd live to see what those goats look like in more detail.

Gota love them goats, try these out Mountain Goats

And maybe this link Rocky Mountain Big Game

Posted By: jadlh

Re: Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 02/01/11 12:39 AM

You have some great shots, what a chance to not just photograph but to see these animals in the wild.
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 02/01/11 01:42 PM

Exciting and beautiful images. More!

Re: Mountain Goats - Wyoming - 02/12/11 11:45 PM

James,

We have been in the Alpine area for about 2 years. We like it for the most part. For some looking to buy out here if it is a vacation home then it would be great. If buying to live out here and if you have kids, that's a whole other story. If you would like more specifics let me know and I can email you.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum