The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Bug! Big Bug!!

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Bug! Big Bug!! - 06/09/11 04:09 PM

I don't often post to the Nature/Wildlife section but I thought this qualifies smile. Was watering the flower beds in the back yard this morning and I noticed something moving in the leaves.

As it crawled up the side of the porch, I came in for a closer look.

And then watched him climb the screen to get away from the hose.

Awesome, colorful creature. Shot with the 200L and a 36 mm extension ring. Let me get close but not too close smile.

Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Bug! Big Bug!! - 06/09/11 05:36 PM

That is indeed a big bug. After your last event, I am surprised you had the courage to go get the camera! I know after big eents, I don't want to look at the thing. smile. Kind of like re-enacting the scene of the crime.

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Bug! Big Bug!! - 06/09/11 09:35 PM

Today was actually the first time I've picked up the camera since we got home. I know what you mean. On the other hand, the bug is really BIG!
Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

Re: Bug! Big Bug!! - 06/10/11 09:42 AM

Yep, looks like a Florida Grasshopper. Used to see them alot when I was a kid. Never knew the offical name though. When I was in the 8th grade, I was in FFA. I was with some other kids who were in high school FFA. They had gotten ahold of some carbon dioxide. They thought it would be fun to put one of those grasshoppers in a big coffee can and pour that carbon dioxide on him. Then cracked him like an ice chip. Lets just say when he melted a few minutes later, it was not a pleasant site. Kids!
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Bug! Big Bug!! - 06/13/11 02:28 AM

This bug is gorgeous and disgusting at the same time. I can just feel the little hooks on the ends of its feet which creeps me out but love the pattern and color nature has provided.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum